[SOLVED] i have a spare 120gb ssd how could i use it to speed up my 2tb storage drive

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i have a spare 120gb ssd how could i use it to speed up my 2tb storage drive? i think theres a special function for this just not sure what program to use or how to link it to make it a cache drive fopr my storage drive. i have a samsung 970evo for boot drive so dont need it ther but want to link it to my storage drive

Solution
What make and model is that 2 TB storage drive? How is it connected?

In general, I doubt that there is much you can do.

You may regain some speed if the SSD is used as a dedicated target drive for specific files and applications. You would just need to configure the 120 GB SSD as the default destination drive for those applications and/or file types.

And bear in mind that connecting the SSD may require some SATA rearrangements based on the motherboard' design and requirements to support the Samsung 970.

I am now using those smaller SSD's just for general backups via a temporary USB connection. The SSD's are easy to transport and store. External drive cases/enclosures are becoming very inexpensive if you even want one. Do...

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model is that 2 TB storage drive? How is it connected?

In general, I doubt that there is much you can do.

You may regain some speed if the SSD is used as a dedicated target drive for specific files and applications. You would just need to configure the 120 GB SSD as the default destination drive for those applications and/or file types.

And bear in mind that connecting the SSD may require some SATA rearrangements based on the motherboard' design and requirements to support the Samsung 970.

I am now using those smaller SSD's just for general backups via a temporary USB connection. The SSD's are easy to transport and store. External drive cases/enclosures are becoming very inexpensive if you even want one. Do not buy the low end cheaper products. At least get an enclosure that truly provides some physical protection.

However, if the question is performance in general - more RAM may help. Still the 2 TB is likely going to be the limiting component.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
What data is stored on the 2TB HDD?

Unless you're accessing the same blocks of data all the time, cache functions like this are mostly a waste of time.
And that cache only potentially benefits read operations. Write still happens at the speed of HDD.

Just use the 120GB SSD as its own drive.
Install some things to it.