[SOLVED] I have a spare i3-7100 Intel processor and 24" monitor and I want to learn to build a computer.

yeto

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
I have never built a computer but I would like to build an inexpensive computer and maybe run Chromium as the OS. It will just be used to surf the internet, pay some bills online and send some emails. No gaming. The smaller the form factor the better. I have seen some systems called like Next or Shuttle. I would like something that size if possible. Could someone point me in the right direction with some suggestions as to how to get started related to parts?

Thank you for any help,
yeto

Solution
Ideally then, you'd want something 7th gen Intel compatible from the box, the safest choice being some sort of 200-series chipset... (As there are faster CPUs for $60, I'm not sure I'd pay too much extra for a smaller form factor build, vice just a normal mid-tower...)

Most 7th gen stuff has been out of production a few years, but, you can probably find some leftover stuff that is still new...A quick search of a Shuttle Z270R6 Cube (case/SFX PSU, mainboard barebones) had a silly price of $400+ on Amazon, which is not worth it...

A quick search for 200 series mainboards shows dwindling supplies, and ergo, not very attractive pricing, as it makes little sense to pay $150-$170 for a mainboard to utilize a 4 year old i3 (dual...
Ideally then, you'd want something 7th gen Intel compatible from the box, the safest choice being some sort of 200-series chipset... (As there are faster CPUs for $60, I'm not sure I'd pay too much extra for a smaller form factor build, vice just a normal mid-tower...)

Most 7th gen stuff has been out of production a few years, but, you can probably find some leftover stuff that is still new...A quick search of a Shuttle Z270R6 Cube (case/SFX PSU, mainboard barebones) had a silly price of $400+ on Amazon, which is not worth it...

A quick search for 200 series mainboards shows dwindling supplies, and ergo, not very attractive pricing, as it makes little sense to pay $150-$170 for a mainboard to utilize a 4 year old i3 (dual core/quad thread) worth $40 when much faster CPUs are available...

Now if you can find someone selling a B250 for $80 or so, great, have at it...but, I am not seeing those prices on Amazon currently.

B460 (10th gen) boards are $110, with i3-10100 about the same cost...; these two paired would be MUCH faster than a 4 year old i3, and, likely only $40 more because not overpaying for an old out of production mainboard's markup.

Solution

yeto

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017

A quick search for 200 series mainboards shows dwindling supplies, and ergo, not very attractive pricing, as it makes little sense to pay $150-$170 for a mainboard to utilize a 4 year old i3 (dual core/quad thread) worth $40 when much faster CPUs are available...

Now if you can find someone selling a B250 for $80 or so, great, have at it...but, I am not seeing those prices on Amazon currently.

B460 (10th gen) boards are $110, with i3-10100 about the same cost...; these two paired would be MUCH faster than a 4 year old i3, and, likely only $40 more because not overpaying for an old out of production mainboard's markup.

This is really really helpful. This is why I wanted to post. I can see that I was going to go down the wrong path. I just need to start from scratch.

From my research so far a mini tower would be smaller versus a micro tower but more expensive. I guess my question now would be is there a go to entry level/economy setup (tower, motherboard, processor etc.) that most people are using or do you have to look at all the options and just decide what you think would work best for your situation?

Also, any thoughts related to using Chromium as the OS? Would this save me some money or is there a possibility I could find a kit that would include Windows 10.

Again, thank you,
yeto