i have a suggestion for furure review persianing to raptor lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
im sure alot of people didnt really bother upgrading during all the 14nm releases one thing i dont seem to find in reviews is say your wanting to upgrade form a 7th 8th 9th or even a 10th gen cpu (although 8th would be a great start) how does a 8th gen 8700k stack up against a i3 raptor or i5raptor lake? prolly the i5 smokes it but be nice to know what the upgrade would be worth for people on a budget since i3 and i5 are generaly for the budget mainsteam.

I have not read every review here at TOM's but sometimes the author does point out the benefits from upgrading from an earlier gen hardware, be it CPU, GPU or any other component. Though, I have not seen a very older gen hardware comparison done in some cases. Not all SKUs are compared or included.

You have a point though, but we can also try to do the math, or make some educated guesses when it comes to comparing older gen hardware with the latest one (sometimes, but NOT always). Depending on the SKU, the performance jump will certainly be there, and in some cases the jump is pretty high with a new hardware.

But it also depends on which SKU we are comparing, and what architectural advantages the new hardware sports. FWIW, I'm still using a 4'the GEN Core i7 4790 (non-K) CPU. And even if I upgrade to say for example 9th or 10th gen, the new CPU would be definitely faster than my 4'the gen CPU.

But of course, I won't be comparing the next-gen low-end Pentium or Celeron CPU with my 4'th gen processor, but only core i5 and above. But you can also check the GPU or CPU hierarchy chart here at Tom's , or even other websites to give you a rough idea on the upgrade/performance uplift you would be getting.

I'm not 100% sure, but this chart might also help imo, at least based on the scores/points which are being listed in % value. But I know you are talking about REVIEWS here, so it would be nice if the author includes older gen SKUs as well. In some of the reviews they did include previous two or three generations of hardware though.

These charts are just for reference though.

CPU Benchmarks Hierarchy 2022: Processor Ranking Charts | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

GPU Benchmarks Hierarchy 2022 - Graphics Card Rankings | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Anyways, regardless of my own explanation, your point of view still stands. It would be nice to see how much upgrade benefit comes from the next-gen or current gen hardware, coming from a very OLDER gen hardware.

And like you mentioned, will it be really WORTH the upgrade or not ? This is the MOST important part. Sorry to bore you guys with my thoughts though. :);)

Last edited:

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well also to, with gpu's people who wanted the latest and greatest most i would assume bout the 27 or 2800rtx cards they somtimes listed super with the 3kseries but with the mining rage most people prolly aint even got a 30series rtx so i think would be bennificial to everyone to comparer also in the gpu article that comes up to 2080 or 2080 super and maybe the same for 2700rtx not all but im sure due to the prices at the time most people skipped the 30gen rtx

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS