Question i have a toshiba qosmio x70-a witha 770m GPU having problems

May 26, 2019
i have a problem with my GPU. games that i used to have no problems playing now run like trash and i dont know why. my fans speed up and slow down and keeps changing. i dont know if its a power issue or what. it came with win 8 but i upgraded to win 10. around that time i wiped my computer and ever since i have been only been able to run basic games like minecraft and league of legends. before i used to play fallout and guild wars 2. im not sure if its running off of my on board graphics or something. can anyone give me a hand?

May 26, 2019
It's possible the proper graphics driver isn't installed. Look in the device manager under "display adapters." If it just says "Microsoft basic display adapter" then that is just the basic 'generic' Windows driver and must be updated.
it says the onboard 4600 intel graphics and my 770m

i have a problem with my GPU. games that i used to have no problems playing now run like trash and i dont know why. my fans speed up and slow down and keeps changing. i dont know if its a power issue or what. it came with win 8 but i upgraded to win 10. around that time i wiped my computer and ever since i have been only been able to run basic games like minecraft and league of legends. before i used to play fallout and guild wars 2. im not sure if its running off of my on board graphics or something. can anyone give me a hand?

Is your Laptop overheating ? Any thermal throttling issue ? Make sure the Laptop is using the 770M GPU as the default, and not the integrated HD Graphics 4600 GPU . Check BIOS settings as well. Many Laptops have this switchable graphics option.

Switchable Graphics is a technology that utilizes both the graphical processing capabilities of a discrete graphics adapter and the power efficiency of an integrated graphics adapter. Laptops equipped with Switchable Graphics are capable of engaging the higher performance discrete graphics adapter for 3D applications, and the energy-efficient integrated graphics adapter for less demanding tasks.

Also, if using a LAPTOP always download the OEM VGA drivers from the Manufacturer's Website.

May 26, 2019
Is your Laptop overheating ? Any thermal throttling issue ? Make sure the Laptop is using the 770M GPU as the default, and not the integrated HD Graphics 4600 GPU . Check BIOS settings as well. Many Laptops have this switchable graphics option.

Switchable Graphics is a technology that utilizes both the graphical processing capabilities of a discrete graphics adapter and the power efficiency of an integrated graphics adapter. Laptops equipped with Switchable Graphics are capable of engaging the higher performance discrete graphics adapter for 3D applications, and the energy-efficient integrated graphics adapter for less demanding tasks.

Also, if using a LAPTOP always download the OEM VGA drivers from the Manufacturer's Website.
[/QU
It could be a GPU switching issue (IOW, it's not switching from integrated to discrete graphics as it should). Were the drivers picked up by Windows when first installed or did you run installers from geforce.com

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/145874/en-us
i have Geforce.

May 26, 2019

it gets super hot but its alwayys been like that. ive taken apart the laptop 2 times and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU.

May 26, 2019

also, i checked for the switchable graphics function and did not see one in the bios.

You can go the Device Manager, and from there you can disable the integrated graphics. Go to Control Panel > Hardware/Device Manager > Display Adapters > right click Intel HD Graphics and click on Disable.

Also, like I mentioned before, please use the manufacturer's OEM drivers. Or, try this. Right-click the blank space of the desktop. Select NVIDIA Control Panel to switch between two graphics manually under Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor.

Select the high performance NVIDIA processor from the menu.

manage-3d-settings-preferred-graphics-processor.jpg