I have a USB 3.0 port on front case, but no USB 3.0 functionality installed?

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I'm kind of newbie when it comes to Desktop PCs, but I have a prebuilt PC from Ironside computers (Minion Ultra http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28223_28240&products_id=309), that I'm hoping will allow me to add 3.0 capability to it (since I'm starting to think that I don't have it), as it currently has 1 empty USB3.0 port on the front casing of the tower. On the FM2 Chipset motherboard, it says what I currently have:

USB 2.0: 4
USB 3.0: 0
Number of Ram Slots: 2
Supported Ram Speeds: 1866/1600/1333/1066
CPU Socket Type: FM2+ / FM2
PCI E x 16 Slots: 1
PCI Slots: 1
Form Factor: Micro ATX

Will I be able to add USB3.0 functionality to this? And if so, I would like to know what is recommended for my PC?

My overall computer's specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core 3.70 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 2GB

System type: Windows 8.1 64-bit, x64- based processor

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I actually haven't taken the liberty of fully checking the inside of my PC for such connectors as I didn't want to take any action in doing so until I know it's safe to operate on. What exactly is it that I should be looking for?

correct. there is no way to give that motherboard pcie3.0 access.

your problem is you only have 1 pci-e slot on your motherboard, and they don't make pci usb3 hubs; just pcie, which your gpu is plugged into the only pcie slot on that board..

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Thank you so much for your help on this still. It changes a lot for me since I had just purchased the Avermedia Live gamer extreme (but found out yesterday that it requires USB3.0 connectivity). I think I might have dodged a bullet there lol. Otherwise I would have had to send back the device.

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Really sorry about this, but one final thing. Let's say that my PCI slot is in use for the wireless network adapter. I use only Ethernet connection anyways. Would I be able to just replace the wireless adapter card with the expansion card without any problems? Or does it not work this way?

get it & replace wireless pci card with usb wireless adapter. other option is get a FM2+ / FM2 scket board that comes with either usb 3 ports or pcie slot(s) to put a pcie usb 3 card in. if go with new board to make certain it can use your ram & videocard.

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I think I am leaning towards the first option with the PCI slot over replacing the MOBO, as it seems to be a much easier and quicker method to allow 3.0 functionality for me. I'm hoping all will go well with this as long as I follow instructions. Fingers crossed. :)

No, it means more research maybe required.

A quick look at AMAZON suggests you can at best expect ~850 mbps transfer speed going this route. As long as you don't have high expectations, go for it.

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Yes that is the one.

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Idk, that's just what i read from it's product page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A58M-VG3+%20R2.0/ How is it that I don't have one then, when it says that there is one? Unless the given information for the board is out of date or inaccurate? Or I am just misunderstanding something maybe.

Brittn3y

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

I want to say that the board from my link is the proper one, as the name says exactly what it says on the board's ASRock manual that i'm holding that came with my PC. Though the specs from your link does somewhat look similar to the specs from mine, unless I overlooked something and they actually match.