I have administrator privledges but cannot install programs

My user account type is computer administrator, but when I try to install an
AIM upgrade or download and play a game, it tells me I need to have
administrator privledges and will not let me do it. I have no idea what is
going on.

are you the only one with admin rights? if not try loggin into one of the
other accounts remover ur admin rights reboot go back in to the other account
re add the admin rights and reboot again.