[SOLVED] I have an 860 Evo 256GB and 980 pro 1TB which one is best to be used for boot drive

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my PC to 12th gen intel and bought a new SSD the 980 pro 1TB.

The thing is I want to upgrade to windows 11 as well since the 12th gen favours it more.

The question is would it be better to put my OS into the 980 pro which is faster on paper or it does not make a difference in the real world if I continue to put it on the 860 Evo.

Also when I backup my W10 can I restore my file onto W11 or should I restore onto W10 first and then upgrade?

Solution
If you're going to do a fresh install of WIN 11, put it on the new 980 Pro.
Use the 860 for other things.

For your data, absolutely back up any personal files, and have them offline during this process.

Copy them back once this changeover is complete.

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
What do you use the system for?

Not sure what you mean by this.
I use my system for gaming and work. and I am planning to put the OS on the 860 evo if the read and write speed does not make any significant real life difference

What I mean by my last sentence is. I want to fresh install my windows and before that I will need to backup my data. So when it comes to restoring the data do I do it after or before I upgrade to W11?

USAFRet

Titan

For your data, absolutely back up any personal files, and have them offline during this process.

Solution

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015

Is there any backup tool that you recommend ? or is the windows backup good enough ? and basically backup anything that are not programs and windows files right ?

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
No, NOT the Windows backup tool.
That has no bearing on a fresh install of the OS.

You just want to copy your personal files off to some other storage device.
Copy/paste.
Another question, will it work if I just slot my current OS drive into the new machine that I have bought ? Will it just boot or a fresh install of windows is required?

USAFRet

Titan
Another question, will it work if I just slot my current OS drive into the new machine that I have bought ? Will it just boot or a fresh install of windows is required?
Moving a drive+OS to a whole new system is fraught with issues.

3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months. And you WISH you had just done the clean install to start with.

#1 is the least likely to occur.

Reactions: Mike_jo3