I Have an ASUS laptop but its having trouble starting.

CoolStuff

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I just got this ASUS laptop for free from my friend. When she had it she pretty much ran it through hell, and recently its developed problems starting normally. When I turn on the computer a black screen pops up and says ASUS etc. which I know it normal. It then proceeds to a screen that says windows error recovery, which I've also seen before. It then gives the option to either Launch start up repair which is recommended or start windows normally. So I then tried to run start up repair to fix any problems. The computer then loads start up repair and suggests that I restore the computer to an earlier point in time, I then click restore and wait. The computer will sit there for hours seemingly restoring the computer until I manually shut it down, which I know isn't good for the computer, but it wont turn off any other way. So I then tried just starting windows normally but when I do it says starting windows and does its little loading thing, then a black screen will pop up on which you can see the cursor but nothing else. I don't know what else to do I'm tech savvy but not to the point of fixing this......

ebaligod

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Press function key F9 during startup when ASUS Logo is displayed.

This will start recovery to its original factory state (Windows, drivers, bloatware and all).

This should work, unless the hidden recovery partition was deleted or missing.