I have an ASUS LGA1156 motherboard, would I need to upgrade this?

omerzrali

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I'm a gamer, so I'm just upgrading my PC now for the first time in years. I have this blue/silver LGA1156 motherboard, It's ASUS and I have no idea how to determine what other info is on this. I am aiming for a GTX 1060 graphics card, and a CPU that's probably the i5-7500 or 7600. Does anyone know if the LGA1156 socket works for this? I don't know much about computers haha. Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
Yes you will need to upgrade MB for i5-7500. It uses a socket 1151.

Your MB will have a supported processors list. Go look at it. Its on the ASUS website.

You will also need to upgrade your memory. That MB used DDR3 memory. You need DDR4 with your new i5-7500 CPU.

You will also need a new PSU most likely. The current MB/CPUs need a "haswell compliant" power supply that supports very low power wait states. Check to see if your PSU is "haswell compliant", if you can't find that you can either set the BIOS to turn off low power states (yuk) or get a new PSU.
Yes you will need to upgrade MB for i5-7500. It uses a socket 1151.

Your MB will have a supported processors list. Go look at it. Its on the ASUS website.

You will also need to upgrade your memory. That MB used DDR3 memory. You need DDR4 with your new i5-7500 CPU.

You will also need a new PSU most likely. The current MB/CPUs need a "haswell compliant" power supply that supports very low power wait states. Check to see if your PSU is "haswell compliant", if you can't find that you can either set the BIOS to turn off low power states (yuk) or get a new PSU.

Solution