[SOLVED] I have an ASUS Maximux IX Hero MB. It will not boot to BIOS HELP!!!

Mar 27, 2020
I've had this MB for almost two years.
It will not boot to BIOS and I cannot configure it. Sent board in for repairs to ASUS sent CPU to Intel--both checked out OK (apparently). Bought more RAM per ASUS. Updated BIOS via USB. Still will not boot. Keyboard works via USB. Pulled graphics cards and am using onboard graphicsHave tried other graphics cards, monitors and keyboards--Nothing Works!! ASUS Logo shows on monitor, but F2 and DEL keys do not take me into BIOS.
I've probably spent hundreds of hours on this and hundreds of dollars on the MB, extra RAM and ASUS repairs
Help Help Help--I'm going nuts with this

Solution
myself id try a dedicated graphics card, chances are its the graphics chip on the CPU not working with the motherboard, but if you could find a graphics card to test with, it may just boot

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
have you tried using only 1 stick of ram, and no HDD. also has it ever booted? have you tried outside the case ( maybe something is touching causing a fault) .. myself id try reseating the CPU and then id remove everything but 1 stick of ram and try booting , if that failed then Id reset Bios and maybe reupdate, could be you messed up update somehow . also is your CPU compatible with the board? some AMD ones need a old CPU to update bios for new CPU. (like my board does, I would of had to install a 2nd Gen Ryzen in order to update for a 3rd Gen .)

Mar 27, 2020
Yes I have--one stick of RAM. I have also removed the MB battery, cleared BIOS five or six times, etc, etc
CPU is compatible with MB according to ASUS
Interesting thought about using an older CPU, but I don't have one
Thanks for for the ideas and the quick response--really appreciate your thoughts

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
knowing your full system would help of course, but I myself would check for sure about the CPU. because I know with my motherboard in order to update to the bios that a Ryzen 3 will work on , I must boot system with a Ryzen 2 , then update. now some mother boards do have an option to flash bios without a CPU, but not all.

Mar 27, 2020
My system:
Intel Core I7 -7700K 4.2 GHZ 8 MB Cache, LGA1151
ASUS Maximus IX Hero ROG 1151
No HDD, No graphics card--using MB graphics via HDMI to a Dell Monitor
Thermalake Watercooler 3.0
Corsair DDR4 3200 MHz 32GB--(verified compatible by ASUS), one stick in slot #2
EVGA Supernova 85 watt power supply
Ive tried eliminated anything that might cause an error by keeping peripherals to the absolute minimum
Have tried to update the BIOS via USB port

Mar 7, 2020
According to the User Manual for your motherboard, it does support the BIOS Flashback Feature.

The manual has instructions outlined on page 2-13. In essence, you download the new BIOS from Asus, put it on a USB stick (after renaming it), put the USB into the lower left port on the MB back-panel, and then press the Flashback button on the back-panel. You do not need to remove the CPU and you do not need the system powered on. Just leave it plugged in to A/C power and at standby.

Mar 27, 2020
Thanks. I've tried this several times before. I did it again after I read your post. USB, fat 32, renamed .CAP file to M8H.cap. When I instert the USB into the BIOS port and hold the blue bios button in for (5, 10,15,20 secs.) the USB flashes one short, one long and then nothing happens. I've tried with power switch on (no boot--no results) and power on. Still will not read the USB. Correct me if I am wrong, but the USB light flashes when doing a read/write. I don't understand why it will not read in the BIOS. I've also cleared the existing BIOS several times. No change. I've used the port named 'BIOS' and tried other USB ports as well. Same--no results...
So it occured to me that the BIOS file should probably be M9H.CAP (to reflect Maximus IX)
I renamed it and was able to update the BIOS (USB flashing). Great, but the BIOS still does not show on the monitor after the splash logo--using F2 or DEL keys. Step in the right direction, but back to square one--no change. Cannot edit the BIOS

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
im not too sure, doing some looking around on other forums some suggest the CMOS battery is bad, some say people simply dont hit the Delete key fast enough, they suggest hitting delete key during post or you can hold ctr alt delete at same time after post, or while hitting reset on PC. Im really not to sure what more to do, some also suggest testing board outside of the case in case there is something causing a short i know my PC i have to plug my keyboard direct into the back rather than use the hub I normally use, as it never recognizes the keyboard until windows boots if its plugged into the hub. I think myself I would remove board from case, remove all hard drives etc, and try to flash the bios again perhaps with new flash drive id use the bare minimum for hardware, 1 stick of ram , GPU and 1storage drive. if it still failed id maybe see if the board itself was not malfunctioning .

Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for all the help. As mentioned earlier I did update the BIOS via USB. I also reinstalled the graphics card. Still no success. I may buy another MB just to see it ASUS is the problem---this is just throwing good money after bad. I did send the MB to ASUS for repairs. Cost $125. Also sent the processor to Intel to check--no problems. I will try pulling the MB out of the case (again) to see if it will boot to BIOS. I've already done this several times. Perhaps the ASUS board is just not compatible with my Intel in spite of what the specs and advertising states. I don't think I will ever try to construct my own system again. Way too expensive even, if I don't account for the hundreds of hours wasted trying to solve the problem. I might understand it if I hadn't replace every component with new ones, even so far as buying 32mb of ram because the RAM I bought when I first set up the system was no longer on the approved list from ASUS. I know I did not make a mistake ordering the first set. I'm very meticulous about these sort things. ASUS has been pretty much useless in helping to resolve this problem

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
myself id try a dedicated graphics card, chances are its the graphics chip on the CPU not working with the motherboard, but if you could find a graphics card to test with, it may just boot

Solution