I have an Ethernet cable coming from the Modem and 14 ports to distribute that cable to. Whats the best way to do this?

Jedfilms7

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
The title gives a little heads up on what I'm looking for. In more depth, I have an Ethernet cable with the internet coming from the Modem in our basement. Also, 14 Ethernet ports elsewhere in the house leading back where the Modem is in the basement. I want to have all the 14 ports elsewhere in the house live with the internet, including one that will be hooked up to our Wifi Router. Whats the best most efficient way to do this? Also by the way, I can only see 4 of the 14 ports being used at the same time max.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Modem to WAN port on a router, router to 16 port switch (you did say 14 ethernet ports, highest port count on a router I am aware of is 8, and those are OLD now... Common is 4...). Router allows you to share the one common line / IP address coming from the modem via Network Address Translation, and also provides firewall and other critical services, including, but not limited to Wireless Access depending on your router.