[SOLVED] I Have an HP Pavilion 15 Radeon Vega Graphics Processor and Ryzen 3, 1TB memory, 2019 manufacture Computer That is Slow and Acting Up - How Do I Fix

blackredpurple38

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
I bought this laptop as a christmas gift (from wallyworld (walmart)) for my brother last year in Dec. Its now a year later in Aug, and my mom has decided shes going to use it (after my brother opening it a total of 2 times). SO I went ahead and set the anti-virus up, updated everything and got it ready for her to use.

WELL, At first it was incredibly slow. Freezing on the settings screen and automatically closing it on me slow. I had to wait 20min to get access to chrome - upon inspection in the task manager. A windows updater file was taking up 100% cpu capacity (oh, thats nice on a brand new system...). Disabled some files, got the cpu to come down - i believe this was caused due to an error in communication between windows update files. Now that problem has been resolved, its still slow at first but once it boots, its fine. But there are others.

TWICE NOW, I have gone into chrome, set up her defaults, customized my desktop/taskbar, changed the background, EVEN created and left documents on the laptop....only to find the next day, the entire system refreshes and wipes all my progress out. EVEN the document I created.

The first time it happened, I had ran some major updates AFTER customizing everything, and when I logged back in, everything was gone. I assumed this was due to the update - alright, I re-did everything.

The SECOND TIME is unique. I was working on both of (my asus, and this hp) laptops at the same time last night, I had let this computer (the HP) go into 'sleep' or 'inactive' mode for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. When I went to wake it up, using the mouse, clicking the spacebar, hitting the enterkey. NO RESPONSE. not even a flash behind my display. I clicked the power button quickly wondering if it was in 'hibernate' mode, and after a few seconds, the screen came back on, flashed, turned back off, and then turned back onto where I was. (it was plugged into the power supply while I was using it-it didn't die? ) I THOUGHT the computer went into hibernate and then needed a second to come back on.

Well, this morning when I booted it, it was scanning and repairing the C. Drive, I sign into my moms account, and everything is back on default.

I don't know if it's me, but I'm....not a total idiot anymore....when it comes to computers and I'm pretty sure I bought a 400$ piece of crap. Someone help me?

Help as in, Why does the computer keep reverting back to defaults. Is there a way I can disable sleep/hibernate - would that fix the C-drive repairing again in the future?

PS. My mom is not computer savvy at all, and I'm really trying to get her to use it - she uses her phone for everything and I want to show her how easy life is when you have a computer (and know how to use it) BUT, this computer will drive her insane. I know what I'm doing (a little bit) and it's driving ME insane.

Solution
Ahhh, I found something interesting. In settings, My computer is defaulted to 'turn off' after 5 minutes of inactivity. Are You Kidding Me. What kind of a setting is that....Changing that...

That's actually a really annoying feature in Windows 10 that was activated through updates. And they made it a hidden setting that you have to disable through registry edits. Here's how you do that:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/d0d51871-c83d-41f1-bf4f-e113bfb23f88

I usually set the number so high that it can't be turned off in a regular session.

blackredpurple38

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
Ahhh, I found something interesting. In settings, My computer is defaulted to 'turn off' after 5 minutes of inactivity. Are You Kidding Me. What kind of a setting is that....Changing that...

USAFRet

Titan
"bought ...last year in Dec. "
"A windows updater file was taking up 100% cpu capacity (oh, thats nice on a brand new system...)"

7 months old is no longer "brand new". There are a LOT of updates to run.
Additionally, look for whatever preinstalled bloatware there might be.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's actually a really annoying feature in Windows 10 that was activated through updates. And they made it a hidden setting that you have to disable through registry edits. Here's how you do that:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/d0d51871-c83d-41f1-bf4f-e113bfb23f88

I usually set the number so high that it can't be turned off in a regular session.

Solution