Question I have an i3 4160 cpu and a Gtx 1650, i am considering to buy an i7 4790. is it worth the upgrade and will it have a noticeable Difference when gaming

Jul 7, 2022
i prefer open triple A games such as witcher/Watch Dogs/Shadow of War/Assassins creed , will the upgrade to an i7 4790 from an i3 4160 be worth it and will it show a huge performance leap? because i think my i3 4160 is bottlenecking my GTX 1650

my whole setup is

i3 4160
GALAX GTX 1650
16GB RAM 8x2
2TB of storage HDD 1x2

MSI OPTIX G241VC 1920x1080 MONITOR 75hz

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the motherboard will support it, then it would be an upgrade of sorts. Yes it'll be an upgrade but it won't be a huge performance leap. Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version at this moment of time? Make and model of the ram used on the build?

Reactions: NicolIsUnsure

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Going from a dual core to quad core isn't a bad thing. You also gain 400Mhz boost clock and 5MB of cache.

I've found having a quad core definitely benefits typical web browsing and other Windows tasks. I still run an i7-4770k upgraded from an i3-4130T. (The 4770k is underclocked, only gets to about 3.6Ghz single core)

Assassin's Creed and Witcher are probably going to be GPU bound regardless. Watchdogs is going to show a goodly 20-30% minimum frame rate increase, very open world style game with a lot going on in the background.

Your max frame rate will probably still be GPU bound unless you lower the graphics significantly. So if you want to run 720p at low/medium then the new CPU might get you some more frames.

Couldn't find any decent comparisons on Shadow of War, so not sure what limits that title.

Reactions: NicolIsUnsure
Jul 7, 2022
Going from a dual core to quad core isn't a bad thing. You also gain 400Mhz boost clock and 5MB of cache.

I've found having a quad core definitely benefits typical web browsing and other Windows tasks. I still run an i7-4770k upgraded from an i3-4130T. (The 4770k is underclocked, only gets to about 3.6Ghz single core)

Assassin's Creed and Witcher are probably going to be GPU bound regardless. Watchdogs is going to show a goodly 20-30% minimum frame rate increase, very open world style game with a lot going on in the background.

Your max frame rate will probably still be GPU bound unless you lower the graphics significantly. So if you want to run 720p at low/medium then the new CPU might get you some more frames.

Couldn't find any decent comparisons on Shadow of War, so not sure what limits that title.
Thank you so much for the response ! I also checked the bottleneck calculator online and it showed that my i3 4160 is bottlenecking my gtx 1650 at 37% bottleneck.

And i checked if i input i7 4790 on the bottleneck calculator paired with my gtx 1650 it showed 0 to 1% bottleneck. Are these accurate? Are the websites for bottleneck calculators legit tho?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, bottleneck calculators are notoriously inaccurate and it isn't clear what methods they use to make their recommendations. It entirely depends on the game, settings, resolution, and a whole host of other factors.

It is true though that top of the line cards that were available at the time of the i7-4790 launch are roughly the same performance level of a GTX1650.

2014 GTX680/GTX770 approximately equal or weaker than the GTX1650.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you so much for the response ! I also checked the bottleneck calculator online and it showed that my i3 4160 is bottlenecking my gtx 1650 at 37% bottleneck.

And i checked if i input i7 4790 on the bottleneck calculator paired with my gtx 1650 it showed 0 to 1% bottleneck. Are these accurate? Are the websites for bottleneck calculators legit tho?
No they are not accurate or legit in the least.

Pure snake oil. No connection with any reality on this planet.

i prefer open triple A games such as witcher/Watch Dogs/Shadow of War/Assassins creed , will the upgrade to an i7 4790 from an i3 4160 be worth it and will it show a huge performance leap? because i think my i3 4160 is bottlenecking my GTX 1650

my whole setup is

i3 4160
GALAX GTX 1650
16GB RAM 8x2
2TB of storage HDD 1x2

MSI OPTIX G241VC 1920x1080 MONITOR 75hz
Play the games and monitor the cpu usage.
If it's pushing up toward the top then that's an area that could use some help.