I have an idea for rapid board position setup . . .

Greetings Chess people,

For you chess-program programmers, I have an idea for a rapid board position
setup screen.
Let's say you select "Setup a board Position" from a menu. You would then be
presented with a blank board with the white King "dangling" on the cursor.
Just click to place, and the white King (the one dangling on the cursor) is
instantly replaced with the white Queen so that you can place her too. And
so on and so on. Until the white side is completely setup in which case, the
process starts anew with the black chessmen. Now, what if you don't need a
Queen? Well, you just right-click, and it moves on to the next selection.
And of course Bishops, Nights and Rooks would appear twice, and pawns 8
times. (Maybe you guys can dream up a better way to deal with the pawns.)

Oh, and this same "Setup" panel accept PGN text or Forsyth notation pasted
in anywhere on top of the board - and you shouldn't have to tell it which
either, that's what computers are for.

This rapid setup screen idea is based on the notion that by anticipating
what you intend to do, (in this case, setup a board) the program allows to
do it in the least number of mouse moves and clicks. And this is a good
example of this kind of minimization because the task at hand is so well
defined and the required "assistance" is so easy to figure out.

But then just dragging icons onto the board is rapid too, so I'm not so sure
how well this idea would workout in practice.
So what do you guys think? Is there any future in my idea? Or what?

- Stan Shankman

"Stan Shankman" <stantheman@visi.com> wrote in message
> Greetings Chess people,
>
> For you chess-program programmers, I have an idea for a rapid board
position
> setup screen.
> Let's say you select "Setup a board Position" from a menu. You would then
be
> presented with a blank board with the white King "dangling" on the cursor.

> But then just dragging icons onto the board is rapid too, so I'm not so
sure
> how well this idea would workout in practice.
> So what do you guys think? Is there any future in my idea? Or what?

It's a fine idea.

Bookup doesn't require dragging. Once you click (highlight) a pawn, you
just click and spray pawns. Then click on the palette to change pieces and
repeat. I usually do pawns first so I wouldn't want a program to go King,
Queen, etc. and make me cycle through by right clicking.

Warmly,

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com
www.chessopeningspgn.com

Whenever I set up a board position, I do pawns first, which gives me the
structure of the position. I feel this minimizes the time one has to
look at a diagram.

Claus-Juergen

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Claus-J=FCrgen_Heigl?= <unea@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Whenever I set up a board position, I do pawns first, which gives me the
> structure of the position. I feel this minimizes the time one has to
> look at a diagram.

Same here. I think Stan's idea modified to do pawn first would be a very
good way of setting up the pieces, though. I must remember it in case I
ever need to write software to do it. :)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Artificial Newspaper (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a daily broadsheet that's made

TRENDING THREADS