i have an iso file for windows 8.1 64 bit that won't open/run

Rob Knickerbocker

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
i tried to install windows 8.1 64 bit earlier and my version automatically chose the 32 bit version for me (it didn't give me an option to choose between 32 and 64 bit for some reason..). I talked to this girl from microsoft technical support and she gave me an iso for the 64 bit version. however, when i try to open "Setup" it says "This app can't run on your PC" and does not give me any more information.

Any advice?

Solution
The way an .iso file works is you have to make a bootable CD with it. You burn the .iso to the disk. It's like the installer disk you get when you buy Windows. This is basically what you're making. Once you burn the iso image to the disk, put it in the CD-ROM drive. Reboot the PC and somehow get into your boot order menu (in BIOS, or as a command from the keyboard, it's different for every PC, sometimes it's Esc, sometimes F12 or F11). Chose to boot from the CD ROM drive in the boot devices list, and it will boot from the iso on the disk and you install Windows that way.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
The way an .iso file works is you have to make a bootable CD with it. You burn the .iso to the disk. It's like the installer disk you get when you buy Windows. This is basically what you're making. Once you burn the iso image to the disk, put it in the CD-ROM drive. Reboot the PC and somehow get into your boot order menu (in BIOS, or as a command from the keyboard, it's different for every PC, sometimes it's Esc, sometimes F12 or F11). Chose to boot from the CD ROM drive in the boot devices list, and it will boot from the iso on the disk and you install Windows that way.

Solution