Aug 19, 2022
Hello I am currently having an problem with my cpu temperature, when I boot up the pc it takes about a couple minutes until it reaches 90 degrees. This issue started one day randomly and now it won’t stop, I have currently did a scan for malware which didn’t find anything. I cleaned the whole pc yet it still reaches these temps. My next thought that maybe I had a issue with the cooler all the fans are spinning, I have water cooling yet it continue to reach these temps. I thought that maybe I should replace the liquid or thermal paste? Or could It be fault? Yet the only thing I have thought of is to check the pump. Any ideas of why it could be reaching these temps? My next thought is that maybe it doesn’t have enough power as I upgraded my gpu like ages ago but it work fine for ages then, any solutions please??
;)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No idea why it's reaching those temperatures, as you haven't provided us with the case, gpu, cpu, what the cooler is, or even how long the cooler has been in use...

AIO/CLCs inevitably fail over time, either mechanically, chemically, or biologically. Nothing you can do about it, except in the case of actual AIOs - problem is, most liquid coolers these days are the non-user-serviceable Closed Loop Cooler.
Intended to be maintenance-free; when failure is suspect, the solution in most cases is a new cooler.

Reactions: CountMike

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You decribe a system with a AIO CPU cooler that heats up to high temps in a couple of minutes. That is typical of a failed pump resulting in NO liquid being circulated. You can test for this by feeling things carefully. Open your case. With the system running and warmed up (you have only a short time for this!) reach in and feel the two tubes coming out of the PUMP on the CPU, and at the rad end. When the system IS operating correctly, at the PUMP end one tube will be warmer than the other - not hot, but a detectable temperture difference. With a failed pump, they will be the SAME temperature. At the RAD end, same thing - one tube warmer than the other if OK, or both tubes equally cool on a failed system.

Reactions: Hihihijo

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The symptoms you cite say this is a BIG lack of heat removal. Since this system was performing properly and suddenly changed, that does not sound like slow degradation of thermal paste or slow loss of liquid in the loop. However, you do say, "I hear that the cpu cooler is pumping the liquid". What makes you say that? In most AIO system you can NOT hear any sound from the pump, and not any sound of gurgling liquid moving. IF you are hearing gurgles, you may have lost a bunch of liquid. MAYBE this has been getting worse slowly before this, and you did not notice? If liquid level is too low there may be an air bubble caught in the pump so it cannot actually pump anything, but that can create noise in the pump. IF you think that is what's happening, the only solution for most closed AIO systems is to replace the pump and rad system. They are all one unit can you can't replace one, and you can't open it up to refill.

On the other hand, if this really is a very sudden onset thing, possible causes of major failure are:
broken bolts or frame that fastens the pump unit tightly to the top of the CPU
pump broken and not working at all
all rad fans not working
big leak in the system that caused it to lose almost all of its fluid