[SOLVED] I have an old system - opinions on if I can make it last

Apr 15, 2020
Help. I have a rather old machine, vintage late 2015. While I would love to do a full replacement, current events and the result on my paychecks has limited my ability to replace the machine. At most, I want to be able to make this thing hobble along for another year? Be able to play Red Dead Redemption II? Something like that. What I need to know, is if upgrading my video card (the only component that I can see making any difference) is a reasonable thing to do, or a waste of $$$.

My current machine is basically,

Intel i7-6700K (LGA 1151 gen1)
Asus Z170 Pro Skylake MB.
32 GB RAM
ASUS GTX 970 Strix OC 4GB.

My idea is to try and make the machine a little more capable by buying something like a GTX 1660 Ti, or possibly an RTX 2060 (similar price).

Is there any point in doing this, or would it simply be a waste of $$$. I just want to be able to play some decent games during this self-isolation thing.

Thanks

Solution
I think I might go with a ASUS GTX 1660S OC EVO 6GB. This is about as much money as I am willing to spend. The 1660Ti is a solid $50 more, and the nearest 2060 is at least $100 more.

I fully understand this is hardly the fastest card out there, but I am on a significant corona-budget, and I really don't want to dump any money into my machine that I don't have to. Hopefully the 1660 super will allow me to play some more modern titles and keep me occupied until the world returns to normal.
1660Ti will do the job just fine,but i was saying if u really want a somewhat top of the line GPU that has all the new features.Dont get me wrong,1660Ti is still a fantastic card,but i thought that you wanted a more of really big upgrade.The...
I think that the RTX 2060 is the better option,just don't expect to have same experience with the RTX features as the RTX 2080 or something like that.Upgrading your GPU is the best thing if you want better performance,since a lot of games are more GPU dependent.

Apr 15, 2020
I think I might go with a ASUS GTX 1660S OC EVO 6GB. This is about as much money as I am willing to spend. The 1660Ti is a solid $50 more, and the nearest 2060 is at least $100 more.

I fully understand this is hardly the fastest card out there, but I am on a significant corona-budget, and I really don't want to dump any money into my machine that I don't have to. Hopefully the 1660 super will allow me to play some more modern titles and keep me occupied until the world returns to normal.

1660Ti will do the job just fine,but i was saying if u really want a somewhat top of the line GPU that has all the new features.Dont get me wrong,1660Ti is still a fantastic card,but i thought that you wanted a more of really big upgrade.The CORONA situation is really killing me too.I cant buy anything that i wanted for a smaller price,I have a friend who bought a ps4 last week for about 550$ dollars total,because he had to pay all the other things that come included with the shipping stuff.He could have paid aboout 400$ total for the console + that 1 year PSN stuff if he had just gone there and bought it by cash.Have fun with what ever you buy :)

Solution