[SOLVED] I have an old WD 1600 external hard rive that has stopped working... The readers arm is flickering back and forward and my Imac can not recognise it.

Jul 2, 2020
I have an old WD 1600 external hard rive that has stopped working... The readers arm is flickering back and forward and my Imac can not recognise it. Now I know the SATA board might be the issue so I was thinking to by a SATA bridge but the disk also has a 4 Pins Molex connector. Help, I am not a tech guy... I have a grasp of the basics..

Solution
I have an old WD 1600 external hard rive that has stopped working... The readers arm is flickering back and forward and my Imac can not recognise it. Now I know the SATA board might be the issue so I was thinking to by a SATA bridge but the disk also has a 4 Pins Molex connector. Help, I am not a tech guy... I have a grasp of the basics..
How do you know the readers arm is "flickering back and forward"? Did you open the drive? If so, it is ruined.

kanewolf

Titan
How do you know the readers arm is "flickering back and forward"? Did you open the drive? If so, it is ruined.

Reactions: USAFRet
Solution

popatim

Titan
The arm is flickering because the heads cannot read the configuration data that is written on on the platters. So it keeps trying and trying. This could be a head(s) failure, platter failure, or age related magnetics on the platters have deteriorated beyond the capability of the heads to read them .

TRENDING THREADS