Question I have an older dell model 8700 desktop computer and it has a nividia 720 graphics card in it and i would like to upgrade to a newer card.

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-6DQHN10
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8700
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0x05B7
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A14, 5/31/2019
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 0KWVT8
BaseBoard Version A03
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.2728"
User Name DESKTOP-6DQHN10\venli
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.45 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if you have the standard 480W PSU that unit came with you have some options, but that all comes down to how much you have to spend.

If you don't have the 480W power supply, then that will need to be replaced as well, adding to the cost.

Reactions: RodroX
If you're looking to buy new, then your best bet is an RX 6600 for only $200. Take into consideration that your CPU will be a pretty strong bottleneck but at least you'll have a card that will be able to increase your gaming performance dramatically if and when you decide to upgrade your platform.

EDIT: make that $210 because I doubt that the Gigabyte Eagle model for $200 will fit because it's a pretty big-looking triple-fan design. The twin-fan ASRock Challenger D should fit just fine though.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you're looking to buy new, then your best bet is an RX 6600 for only $200. Take into consideration that your CPU will be a pretty strong bottleneck but at least you'll have a card that will be able to increase your gaming performance dramatically if and when you decide to upgrade your platform.

Certainly a fine choice for $200. But the requirement of an 8-pin power connector can be very limiting when upgrading OEM machines. Lucky if they provide a 6-pin.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Certainly a fine choice for $200. But the requirement of an 8-pin power connector can be very limiting when upgrading OEM machines. Lucky if they provide a 6-pin.
Yeah but that's true for anything above a GTX 1650 (which isn't worth buying, period). The OP will either have to get a new PSU or use the old MOLEX-to-PCI-Express connectors. With a card that draws as little as the RX 6600, it would probably be fine. Hell, I had to use two of those with my first HD 4870 (they actually came WITH the card) before I got my first OCZ GameXStream PSU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah but that's true for anything above a GTX 1650 (which isn't worth buying, period). The OP will either have to get a new PSU or use the old MOLEX-to-PCI-Express connectors. With a card that draws as little as the RX 6600, it would probably be fine. Hell, I had to use two of those with my first HD 4870 (they actually came WITH the card) before I got my first OCZ GameXStream PSU.

Very risky with OEM PSUs. Those molex aren't designed to carry that kind of load.

Dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter where applicable, or worst case single 6-pin to 8-pin adapter in the case of lower end GPUs. After that, just wiser to replace the PSU entirely.

Very risky with OEM PSUs. Those molex aren't designed to carry that kind of load.

Dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter where applicable, or worst case single 6-pin to 8-pin adapter in the case of lower end GPUs. After that, just wiser to replace the PSU entirely.
Well, I didn't mean to say that it was ideal, it's just that, as you say, those OEM PSUs generally don't have anything on them to enable upgrading (which is why I hate "brand-in-a-box" desktop PCs).

Fortunately, it does appear that Dell at least used a standard ATX PSU with that model so getting one that can handle an actual video card shouldn't be too difficult or expensive.

This should do nicely:
Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 80+ Gold 600W: $70

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
Starting with a 9 year old proprietary Dell OEM system, your options are severely limited.
I wouldn't put another dime in this.

A GT 1050ti would work, but that is not a great device, and also old.

What are you hoping a new GPU will do for you?
i am hoping to be able to play some older and newer games