Question I have an RTX 3070 and still can't keep Rust above 60 FPS. Anything I can do?

Sep 24, 2021
Hello everyone. Recently I upgraded from my ancient fossil that had a R9 270x and i3 CPU to a new Gaming Prebuilt that has an Aorus RTX 3070 and a Ryzen 7 3700x. The main game I play is Rust. I recently also got a MSI 1440p 144hz monitor. When I play the game, I get wildly variable framerates. At the edges of the map I get about 70-80 FPS, but near any Forests, Monuments, Buildings ect. it drops to 55-45 with dips as low as 30 fps in areas. I am disappointed by this performance because I feel that an RTX 3070 should be able to run this game over 60 fps regardless of where you are on the map, even at 1440p which isn't even that big a resolution anymore these days.

Here's what I have done on my own to try and remedy the issue:

• Enable XMP in Bios (16gb of RAM at 3200Mhz)
  • Ensure all drivers are up to date
  • Ensure there is no FPS limit ect.

I don't really know what to do. Am I expecting too much from an RTX 3070? Should I consider upgrading certain components of my PC to get the performance I desire?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.

Hello everyone. Recently I upgraded from my ancient fossil that had a R9 270x and i3 CPU to a new Gaming Prebuilt that has an Aorus RTX 3070 and a Ryzen 7 3700x. The main game I play is Rust. I recently also got a MSI 1440p 144hz monitor. When I play the game, I get wildly variable framerates. At the edges of the map I get about 70-80 FPS, but near any Forests, Monuments, Buildings ect. it drops to 55-45 with dips as low as 30 fps in areas. I am disappointed by this performance because I feel that an RTX 3070 should be able to run this game over 60 fps regardless of where you are on the map, even at 1440p which isn't even that big a resolution anymore these days.

Here's what I have done on my own to try and remedy the issue:

• Enable XMP in Bios (16gb of RAM at 3200Mhz)
  • Ensure all drivers are up to date
  • Ensure there is no FPS limit ect.
I don't really know what to do. Am I expecting too much from an RTX 3070? Should I consider upgrading certain components of my PC to get the performance I desire?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.
what are the pc full specs?

Reactions: kurdtnz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you carry your previous os drive over to the new system or are you using os install the pre-built came with?

Are you using Geforce Experience to optimise Rust? If you are, mind showing us a screenshot of the settings GE is changing.

Amd frequently releases updated chipset drivers to check out. Running userbench as mentioned, or speccy will ID motherboard if you don't know what it is. Search motherboard model & chipset driver and you'll get Amd's website with related driver.