...I have been banned, but I am not?

Went to make a post in a thread, then it said I was banned, refreshed page, then I could post again. Refreshed page, then article said I was banned.

Anyone experience this issue?

Haha, probably a glitch. I have not broken any rules that I am aware. :p

Hi :)

I just tried a post with no problems, so its not everyone, which should be a relief to the Mods or they would be getting thousands of PMs...lol

Umm...another thought.... maybe the Mods should check how many bans are happening as maybe some who have been wrongly banned cannot actually even get back on the site :( :(

But if those bans are invisible, the only way to know would be for the developers to look and see if user numbers are dropping for no apparent reason ...

All the best Brett :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
This was in an article? What article was it in? Neither of you are banned, and have not been banned, so this shouldn't be occurring. Possibly, the article commentary itself was closed, which might pop up that message if the reply dialogue was still showing outside of the standard forum view.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Took a quick look at your profile, and did not see any indications that you have been banned. Has this been occurring frequently? We'll get it looked at but more details would be very helpful.

Rapajez

Distinguished
It seems to occur randomly, throughout the day, ever since I created an account a few weeks back. It happened on that particular thread earlier today, around 11AM, but 20 minutes later it let me post without issue.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
That is very curious, especially since there have been no other reports of this. We'll report this to the devs, who will hopefully be able to sort it out. In the meantime, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this bug!

I only asked because you seem to share an IP address with some pretty odd bedfellows who have been known to Spam our Forum with unwanted commercial links and adverts. That may be one reason for the system being a little confused over who is legitimate and who is not welcome.

Rapajez

Distinguished
Well...there are 200,000 people working here... :) I'll see if it's happening at home as well.

What's weird is the inconstancy. Sometimes just pressing the button a bunch of times will let it go through.

Unless my information is questionable, that's one hell of a commute you have there. :D

Anyway, you're in the clear and haven't been banned so our apologies for any misunderstanding but we work with the best data we can find to fend off unwanted posts and posters but you definitely are not unwanted.

Lone_wolf

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I just had this issue too. I was on a VPN but I tried disabling it and I think it works now. What's with the anti-vpn connection? (If that is the case)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2541437/vpn-account-banned.html

I explained it very poorly in that announcement. I should pretty it up.

Basically, many of the spammers attacking the forums were using VPNs in order to bypass IP bans. We ended up banning those VPN IPs as well. From time to time, some unfortunate soul tries to access the forum through one of those VPNs and they just happen to be on an IP that was banned. Luck of the draw.