[SOLVED] I have been tasked to help an older man build a PC for streaming a radio show

Gabe2000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2019
I need help picking parts tbh.

At the moment he has already picked out HyperX Predator 16 GB 3200mhz, Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
and Scythe Ninja 5 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler.

I have built a gaming pc , for myself, with the help of friends, but i have never built a pc for the exact purpose of streaming a radio show. He also wants to be able to stream video from
a camera to the pc. Basically i don't know whats overkill or not. I'm thinking since he isn't streaming "Games" than he doesn't need gaming level equipment. He said he wanted 32gbs of ram.
I was thinking integrated graphics that come with the i5-9600k, which from what I've read is an ok cpu.

can someone please guide me in this endeavor. Thanks!!

Solution
If he physically showed you two sticks or otherwise expressed a preference for some particular RAM module then remember that those modules may not be compatible with the motherboard in place.

As you put it all together, reading the motherboard User Manuals/Guides along with the documentation for all other components is simply a must. Details matter.

That has always been true but with the current pandemic and subsequent fallout - everything is becoming more difficult. If you have the time to carefully plan - take full advantage of that time. No guarantees that all will go well but at least you can reduce the risks.

No harm with "future proofing" via the i7-9600 or the ryzen 3700x.

However, as always keep an eye of the power...

Ralston18

Titan
What applications will he be running in support of his radio show?

Most applications provide some listing of hardware and OS requirements.

Generally in the format of "minimal" , "recommended", and "best".

He will not want "minimal" and he will want as much "best" as can be afforded.

Bear in mind any other devices he may have in mind along with their respective supporting apps.

Radio naturally excludes the need for video but requires audio.

Requirements and details matter.

Gabe2000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2019
What applications will he be running in support of his radio show?

Most applications provide some listing of hardware and OS requirements.

Generally in the format of "minimal" , "recommended", and "best".

He will not want "minimal" and he will want as much "best" as can be afforded.

Bear in mind any other devices he may have in mind along with their respective supporting apps.

Radio naturally excludes the need for video but requires audio.

Requirements and details matter.

Alright, i just shot him a text asking him what software he is planning on using on this windows pc.

He had been streaming on a mac laptop im pretty sure. Also im confused with what you said about excluding video. If he is also streaming video from a camera.

Will he not need a video card or at least integrated?

Gabe2000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2019
If he is using video, then that is not a radio show.

It is a "TV" show.

Radio needs only audio. TV needs audio and video.

Yeah I guess.

alright so i got some more info on the software. He told me he is using Vmix. He also told me he just wanted a regular pc but with speed.

I think what he means is mid range or somewhat almost high end, mostly mid range.

I looked up the Vmix spec sheet and they recommend this
unknown.png

so I'm thinking, 16gb, the i5-9600k, a less overkill cooler, a 1T hard drive, the 500gb ssd, a 1660, 500wat supply, and for the case the NZXT H500.

what do you think?

Ralston18

Titan
I would double the RAM to a matched set of 2 x 8GB just for "future proofing".

500 Watt PSU likely to be okay. However again, more wattage via a well rated and reviewed PSU will not hurt either.

Worth the money.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

There may be other comments and suggestions.

With so many folks now working from home and using video/audio I would expect a few "lessons learned" to be posted.

Hopefully so.

Gabe2000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2019
I would double the RAM to a matched set of 2 x 8GB just for "future proofing".

500 Watt PSU likely to be okay. However again, more wattage via a well rated and reviewed PSU will not hurt either.

Worth the money.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

There may be other comments and suggestions.

With so many folks now working from home and using video/audio I would expect a few "lessons learned" to be posted.

Hopefully so.

Alright thanks for the advice, just a couple more questions.

He showed me at first that he wanted 2x16 sticks for 32gb would that be good or should i do what you said and go 4x8, im thinking it wouldn't matter since they are both 32gb right?

also im just gonna make him 2 pcs on pc part picker, the only difference between the two being that one is going to be amd based and the other intel.

I'm thinking either i7-9600 so he doesn't have to up grade later on and for amd the ryzen 3700x.

your thoughts??

Ralston18

Titan
If he physically showed you two sticks or otherwise expressed a preference for some particular RAM module then remember that those modules may not be compatible with the motherboard in place.

As you put it all together, reading the motherboard User Manuals/Guides along with the documentation for all other components is simply a must. Details matter.

That has always been true but with the current pandemic and subsequent fallout - everything is becoming more difficult. If you have the time to carefully plan - take full advantage of that time. No guarantees that all will go well but at least you can reduce the risks.

No harm with "future proofing" via the i7-9600 or the ryzen 3700x.

However, as always keep an eye of the power requirements of both individual components (e.g. , CPU, GPU etc,) and ensure that the PSU is up to the task. Ample wattage and rated quality. (Reference my earlier post #6.)

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It honestly sounds to me like you may have overextended yourself a bit here. Having built a few computers doesn't mean that you are ready to do a build for using with programs and systems you are not familiar with. In a very general sense, once you do this you are going to be on the hook for every issue that comes up with the system as well as those other aspects you don't use because you built the system.
Helping a buddy with a build, and building something that is required for a business purpose are two different things and you haven't specifically said the second...but if so you might rethink this course of action.

Gabe2000

Commendable
Jun 18, 2019
It honestly sounds to me like you may have overextended yourself a bit here. Having built a few computers doesn't mean that you are ready to do a build for using with programs and systems you are not familiar with. In a very general sense, once you do this you are going to be on the hook for every issue that comes up with the system as well as those other aspects you don't use because you built the system.
Helping a buddy with a build, and building something that is required for a business purpose are two different things and you haven't specifically said the second...but if so you might rethink this course of action.

He came to me for help. He is my dads friend. I do feel somewhat confident that the pc i put together shouldn't cause any issues.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gabethegamer101/saved/KPPDcf

Only thing i could see going wrong is that some of the old parts he says he is going to use would back fire or break in someway.

For example he wants to use an Apevia power supply, ive never heard of that.

Also I've asked him if he has used the software before and he says that he has it all set up already.

I'm glad for the concern, I'm a bit nervous too. I am sure all will be fine.

Reactions: punkncat