Question I have begun experiencing many BSODs within the past two weeks

Jan 6, 2023
Hey y'all, any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated. I am normally able to diagnose and research how to resolve several issues that pop up with my PC, but I think I have met an issue I simply cannot figure out. Within the past week or two, I have begun experiencing BSODs increasingly in irregular intervals (most BSODs have occurred while I have left my PC on overnight since I leave my PC running in 48 hour intervals). I tried using WinDbg, but it has stopped working after using it once.

I was wondering if someone here could view these five minidump files I've accumulated since 12/27/2022? I attached all five to see if you all could identify any consistencies with these BSODs, because these have only started happening randomly last week with no prior history of BSODs.

OneDrive: Minidump

Here's the bug check information from the last BSOD not even an hour ago from the event viewer:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000001000002, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8027d81cea4). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 61186bd2-cfc7-4c4b-b7f4-0621f6c142b9.

From other threads I've seen, I think you are able to see the PC specs from the minidump report, but if this isn't the case here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x 8-core 16-thread @3.80 GHz
GPU: Geforce RTX 2060
RAM: x4 Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DDR4 (Total 32 GB @ 3200 MHz)
PSU: Thermaltake Bronze 700W (or 750W I can't remember)
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (BIOS version 3.60)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I try my best to keep this PC as well maintained as possible, so resolving this BSOD issue may reveal a driver issue or hardware problem that needs to be resolved.

For context, the PC does not BSOD under load when playing demanding games. The only times these BSODs have ever happened are when I am either idle or leaving the PC on overnight.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of Dumps

report - click run as fiddle to read

File: 010623-9609-01.dmp (Jan 6 2023 - 17:07:07)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: x86_64-pc-win)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File: 010423-8500-01.dmp (Jan 4 2023 - 20:16:08)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: RemoteMouseService.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File: 010323-14828-01.dmp (Jan 4 2023 - 07:33:48)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime: 3 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 38 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File: 123022-8031-01.dmp (Dec 31 2022 - 12:54:57)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime: 2 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File: 122722-7765-01.dmp (Dec 27 2022 - 22:21:42)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

How long you been running 2 different sets of ram at the same time?

could check reliability history and see if any drivers updated just before problems started

Jan 6, 2023
Hi Colif,

I have been running these sets of RAM for over a year now. I started out this with one set of 2 x 8GB 3200 MHz, then sourced the same RAM and bought another set for a total of 32GB. Are there patterns that you're noticing that could be related to these sets of RAM I have?

Good call on recommending the reliability history! I have never seen this tool before. I have noticed a consistent event that has occurred simultaneously with every crash dating back even to 12/10/2022.

Whenever the Reliability History tool shows that there is a critical event "Windows: Windows was not properly shut down," the event that has 100% of the time occurred alongside the BSOD is an informational event called "Microsoft GameInput: Successful application reconfiguration." If you would like screenshots of the reliability history reports, let me know and I can link it to OneDrive. (I don't know if Microsoft GameInput is a common event that occurs when a BSOD occurs, so let me know if this doesn't narrow down anything).

Would you have any idea on what this could mean?

Also, thank you for such a quick response Colif!

Update: I have ran a "sfc /scannow" command and received the following

"Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Thought this would help if needed.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you restart after the SFC scan?

Gameinput has been a problem on almost everyones PC with Windows 10 or 11 for months
My PC, every blue icon warning is Game Input
Igh1r12.jpg

Its part of Xbox
Here are some fixes, don't buy anything - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-gameinput-crashing-pc
if you do the repair fix, the ISO has to match your current version. I can't tell which one you have

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 22H2

Its not a clue, more expected. U think Everyone has it now. I know I do. It isn't causing any errors on my PC so far. I assume Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Same as the Hardware errors you get on a restart. Windows sees every unexpected restart as a Hardware error.

Jan 6, 2023
Hi Colif,

Unfortunately, even after the SFC scan, the BSODs still occur as I got one around 4:20 am this morning. But hey, at least SFC got a windows file fixed! To answer your question though, yes, I did restart after the scan.

For my windows version, using your CMD, my windows version is Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2365)

That does give me some assurance that this is something on Microsoft's end (any error I've had on this PC so far feels like it's because of Microsoft, not me keeping my hardware clean), so thank you for telling me about that.

I'm going to try the "renaming the files solution" from the link you posted. After fighting with the system permissions, I've added an "X" in front of the two folder names as advised by the guide. I will leave my PC running for two days straight and I will let you know if another BSOD occurs.

Jan 6, 2023
Hey Colif,

So here's an update. I have had two more BSODs in similar situations as the previous one (where when I am idle on the PC or it is 4:00 am in the morning, the PC BSODs). Since my last update, I have done the following:

1. Did Memtest86x for all 4 passes with 0 errors.
  2. Used DDU in safe mode to completely clean reinstall my GPU driver and removed the fragments of previous GPU drivers on my system. I made sure to do a GPU driver that released before my BSOD issues began.
  3. Completely removed McAfee Total Protection and reverted back to Windows Defender. I made sure there are no fragments of McAfee on my system.
  4. There was a Windows Update today, so maybe that will address the issue I'm having.
  5. I'm going to go through my programs and begin uninstalling anything I no longer use.

Jan 6, 2023
Update:

Even after the changes I made previously mentioned, I received two BSODs yesterday; one around 5:00 pm and one at 4:00 am. Once again, these BSODs occurred while I was away from my PC or just idle for a while. Here are my next changes:

1. Before, I had my CPU clock speed locked at 3800 MHz, but according to someone I encountered on reddit having the same issues as me, they altered the CPU voltage and found that was the issue. Maybe the issue lies with unstable CPU speeds/voltage ratios? I went ahead and reverted my CPU's speeds back to auto, which is the way it came out of the box. I may have locked the CPU clock speed at a speed above the stock (3600 MHz), but never adjusted the voltage to make up for the increase.

Hopefully this will also allow the CPU to lower its clock speed when idle since there may be an imbalance between the clock speed being constant, but the idle voltage decreasing. Some people say that simply letting what the CPUs running at the settings the AMD engineers intended for them to can fix issues like these.

I apologize if it seems like I am spamming you with updates. I thought that it would be helpful for you to stay updated on the changes I am making to see if you have any insight.

Jan 6, 2023
Hi Colif,

In case you wanted an update, I have yet to receive another BSOD under the usual "once per day" circumstances I have been experiencing since the middle of December after the changes I made on the 13th.

It seems that unlocking my AMD CPU clock speed and allowing it to do what it does by default resolved the issue so far. Before, I had the clock speed set at 3800 GHz constantly. Like I mentioned previously, the imbalance between the clock speed and voltage may have been catching up to me in the form of BSODs.

Another positive is that the Microsoft Gameinput Configuration occurred without the BSOD following it right after, so I think that's a good sign.

Thank you for your help through this!