I have black screen for 5 minutes at start up before log on running windows 7

Werevon

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
It takes 5 minutes from switching on my destop computer untill the log in screen appears, I get all the load up writing at the beginning and the windows logo but then a black sereen for up to 6 minutes, I have checked all my start up programs I have only 41 , I have run a virus and malware scan and also defragged, I am running Windows 7 64 bit. everything runs fine once it has finally loaded. The computer is around 18 months old and under warranty BUT!! If I take it in I know they will just flatten it and start again and I really could do that myself if needed to but I do not want to osse everything. PLEASE can you help me? I have checked and done most things I have read about with no luck. I update evrything when I should etc . Thank you Mrs Yvonne Woolley :(

Solution
May or may not work...

If you have any external hard drives or memory sticks plugged in, try unplugging them and starting. My system used to start up just fine and then it started disliking having drives plugged in. Would make it to the windows symbol then black screen for 5-10 mins.

Unplugged them and tada! Started in a flash. Plugged in the drives after it started and it's happy.

Werevon

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Thank you for your reply, It should have read only 4 things at start up not 41, I have Realtek HDA, Also AVG my antivirus, plus Driver AUT . UASSOFT. I have knocked off my google toolbar so now that only leaves 3. It seems that it was fine one day and then the next day it was like this, If I take it in to the shop as it is still has warranty on it, I know they will just flatten it!! and re install Windows, I could do that myself but do not want all the hassle of starting again from fresh putting back everything, there is always something you forget untill you want it lol, well that is for me anyway being an old un lol. can you think of anything else.? Thank you again.

aphylon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
May or may not work...

If you have any external hard drives or memory sticks plugged in, try unplugging them and starting. My system used to start up just fine and then it started disliking having drives plugged in. Would make it to the windows symbol then black screen for 5-10 mins.

Unplugged them and tada! Started in a flash. Plugged in the drives after it started and it's happy.

Solution

Werevon

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
OMG!!!!! I can,t believe it. Thank you so much. I had a new printer 2 weeks ago , never had trouble before with Brothere printers, this is a fax ,copier, etc and usb to to my desktop, uplugged it just to try and BINGO!!! it was that all alond but I wonder why??? I may just ring brother to find out, Unless anyone in here knows. How glad I am that I joined you this morning , Thank you again. I am one happy bunny. Yvonne

zemie

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

Hey I just had this problem and when i plugged out all of my usb it was fixed. But i didnt have any new drives is the thing but this happened lately, so what is the problem from?