[SOLVED] I have build my first PC and...

Jan 10, 2021
Hi. So yeah, after two days of hard work I build my dream PC and... it's seems working! But still, I have a feeling that I have done something wrong due to my lack of experience. That's why I came here for help... once again :whistle: I would be very grateful if someone will check my build for possible errors.
Specs :
  • Motherboard -ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (WI-FI)
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • CPU Cooler - DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360 RGB V2
  • GPU - ASUS RX460
  • RAM - G.Skill TRIDENT Z [F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW] 16GB 2X (16-16-16-36)
  • Power Supply - Corsair RMX850
  • SSD - SAMSUNG M.2 2280 980 PRO 1.0TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe V-NAND 3bit MLC (MZ-V8P1T0BW)
  • Case - Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
  • PC Fans -DEEPCOOL 500-1500RPM PWM RGB RF120 (3 IN 1)
Pictures :
(Of course I have not finished building it. There is still need to be done a lot of work with cable management.)
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Also I want to ask some questions :
  • What do I need to do with BIOS? Is there something that needs to be done with it?
  • What about memory overclocking? Should I try to use XMP profile?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Windows key isn't tied to your drive, its tied to your hardware.

As such, since you switched motherboards Windows probably would deactivate anyhow even if you do boot to the old drive, depending on how many systems your key is designed for.

The quick answer for how to move windows to a new drive is simple: You don't.

If you are also putting this new drive in a new computer, you should install windows fresh instead of cloning any install to the new drive.

You can clone your old install to a new SSD, but, again, you shouldn't do this since you are also switching systems. Switching hardware can cause all sorts of problems with drivers. Usually it can work fine, but it doesn't always.
Jan 10, 2021
Is your windows installation on this? SSD - SAMSUNG M.2 2280 980 PRO 1.0TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe V-NAND 3bit MLC (MZ-V8P1T0BW)
My Windows is on my old hard disk (WD Blue 1TB). Samsung is my new "clean" M2 SSD, nothing installed on it.
When you installed the 'old hard drive', are you trying to boot from it?
Yes, I have tried to boot from it but I got an error message - The system cannot fin any bootable devices.

My Windows is on my old hard disk (WD Blue 1TB). Samsung is my new "clean" M2 SSD, nothing installed on it.

Yes, I have tried to boot from it but I got an error message - The system cannot fin any bootable devices.

Well, at first old windows installation with "whatever you had" hardware configuration will not work or will glitch out in various ways. As people said, reinstall Windows. And disconnect other drive before that. I assume, Windows and software will sit on M.2 drive. So disconnect old hard drive before Windows installation. You can connect it back when installation is completed. When you will connect back old drive, set correct boot drive order in BIOS settings. Eq. put M.2 drive as first drive.

And for God sake, tidy up that spaghetti factory of cables you have now.

Well, at first old windows installation with "whatever you had" hardware configuration will not work or will glitch out in various ways. As people said, reinstall Windows. And disconnect other drive before that. I assume, Windows and software will sit on M.2 drive. So disconnect old hard drive before Windows installation. You can connect it back when installation is completed. When you will connect back old drive, set correct boot drive order in BIOS settings. Eq. put M.2 drive as first drive.

Exactly what he said.

Reactions: russellchance
Jan 10, 2021
I'm working on it ;)
But what about two case fans right over PSU. Have I positioned them correctly?
Do a clean Windows install on the clean M2 SSD. Have no other drives connected.
I have done just that and Windows booted.
But I wanted to boot from my old hard drive since it contains all of my stuff (programs, passwords, etc).

I'm working on it ;)
But what about two case fans right over PSU. Have I positioned them correctly?
I have done just that and Windows booted.
But I wanted to boot from my old hard drive since it contains all of my stuff (programs, passwords, etc).
If you boot from your old hard drive I think you are asking for trouble.
As far as programs....you should reinstall all the programs to the M2 drive.
As far as passwords...are they in a file on the old drive?
You can power down....add the old drive....power up.....and I'd go to the BIOS and MAKE SURE the M2 drive is the boot drive.....and then let it boot.....and you should be able to get whatever files you want off the old drive. Just don't try and run any programs off the old drive.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Do a clean Windows install on the clean M2 SSD. Have no other drives connected.
If one has windows on an ssd and gets a new drive, whats the process for moving windows?

I have a product key, and windows on my ssd, but if I were to get m.2 do I need to put windows installer on an external usb and reboot with just the m.2 plugged in an install? Or do I have to remove the OS on my ssd?

Its confusing because I dont think you can just install windows on every drive out there after a purchase right its only limited to one drive.

As a noob, ive fully re-installed windows 3 times on the same SSD by just going into settings and resetting. This is because I am having some issues (unrelated to this thread) and I was about to just get a new drive entirely to erase tracks of old drivers on that SSD.

Windows key isn't tied to your drive, its tied to your hardware.

As such, since you switched motherboards Windows probably would deactivate anyhow even if you do boot to the old drive, depending on how many systems your key is designed for.

The quick answer for how to move windows to a new drive is simple: You don't.

If you are also putting this new drive in a new computer, you should install windows fresh instead of cloning any install to the new drive.

You can clone your old install to a new SSD, but, again, you shouldn't do this since you are also switching systems. Switching hardware can cause all sorts of problems with drivers. Usually it can work fine, but it doesn't always.

Solution