I have consistent 10 minute boot times after installing SSD post HDD failure

Apr 23, 2018
After my HDD failed I installed an SSD that I had laying around. Since then my boot times have hovered around 10 minutes, though access to files and applications is fast once the system has booted up.

How it looks:

Gigabyte screen for a few minutes

Black screen with blue Windows logo for a few minutes

Black screen with cursor flashing in upper left-hand corner for several minutes

Basic specs:

Windows 10, updated to latest version

Crucial CT525MX300SSD1

i7-6700k

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Gigabyte Z170M-D3H-CF

Apologies if this is not clear as I am not very knowledgeable about computers. Please ask if you need any additional information. Thanks!

Solution
Boot delays can be caused by failing hardware. Windows will try repeatedly to communicate with a device like an optical drive or HD. I've also seen DHCP cause boot delays if Windows can't see a DHCP server. Did you remove the bad hard drive? Disconnect the network cable from your PC and see if this helps. Another test is to disconnect optical drives, hard drives and even the SSD and see if you can get into the BIOS quickly.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Boot delays can be caused by failing hardware. Windows will try repeatedly to communicate with a device like an optical drive or HD. I've also seen DHCP cause boot delays if Windows can't see a DHCP server. Did you remove the bad hard drive? Disconnect the network cable from your PC and see if this helps. Another test is to disconnect optical drives, hard drives and even the SSD and see if you can get into the BIOS quickly.

Solution
Apr 23, 2018

Thanks for the guidance! I'll play around with it and see what I can figure out.

Apr 23, 2018

Thanks for giving me some direction! I'll get into it tomorrow and check back with what I find out.

Apr 23, 2018

Turns out the second SSD (not the one used for boot) bricked, which I noticed when going through disk management when replacing the HDD. After removing the bad SSD from the system my boot time went down to about 12 seconds.

Thanks a bunch for the help!