[SOLVED] i have corrupt files :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapdoggo

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
dism did complete, but it said something like it couldnt get every file, and sfc stopped at 65% both times. what info can i give? i would like to fix this problem any way possible. and i cant reset my pc "there was a problem reseting your pc no changes were made" i appreciate the responses

USAFRet

Titan
To "fix", you need to first determine the issue.
Bad hardware (HDD/SSD), or bad software.

What was the last thing you did before this happened?
I know I'm wishing here, but do you have a good backup? At least of any critical data?

cheapdoggo

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
To "fix", you need to first determine the issue.
Bad hardware (HDD/SSD), or bad software.

What was the last thing you did before this happened?
I know I'm wishing here, but do you have a good backup? At least of any critical data?
The last thing i did was copy all of my data on a differnt computer to a ssd using macrium reflect, then i swapped the hard drive on this other computer with the ssd. then i couldnt connect to my monitor so i spent a few hours getting a decent display driver, even though my other drivers appear to be fine. Anything else i could say?

USAFRet

Titan
The last thing i did was copy all of my data on a differnt computer to a ssd using macrium reflect, then i swapped the hard drive on this other computer with the ssd. then i couldnt connect to my monitor so i spent a few hours getting a decent display driver, even though my other drivers appear to be fine. Anything else i could say?
A bit confused about this swap.

Disregarding whatever drive it is on...are the OS's still on the same motherboards as they were originally?
Or did you move things between motherboards/systems?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Like others, I'm getting very confused by how you're describing things. Be detailed and specific.

Did you do a full, fresh install of Windows on the second PC? And if you did not, how did you get it onto that second PC that is not working properly?

And by a full install, we don't mean asking Windows to reset your PC or rollback, but making install media on a flash drive, booting directly to it, wiping the install drive completely, and then installing Windows from the flash drive.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
First, with props to @USAFRet for some of what follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On Transferring a System Drive with Windows 10 to a Completely Different Machine

Yes, you can do this, but you will get one of three results:

1. The machine will not boot, period. In which case you will simply have to do a completely clean install of Windows 10 anyway. If the hardware is really different this is the most likely outcome.

2. The machine will boot and run, even relatively well, and you can reactivate Windows, but because the hardware is completely different you will spend weeks to months chasing one issue after another because virtually nothing from the old hardware matches the new and that would make any OS crazy. It’s expecting things that just aren’t there anymore.

3. The machine will boot and run flawlessly, though Windows will not be activated. This happens, but is the least likely outcome. I’ve personally never seen this occur, but there are enough credible reports that it must happen on occasion. I would also imagine this only happens when one is dealing with actual or virtual "hardware twins" for the transplant.

My general advice is to start again from scratch. It all depends on what your tolerance for experimentation and frustration is.

If the machine in question ever had Windows 10 installed and activated at any point in the past it when you reinstall it will automatically fetch the digital license for the edition that it knows that machine last had. You can, of course, choose to upgrade it to a different edition, e.g., Home to Pro, by purchasing a Pro license key and using Settings, Update & Security, Activation Pane, Change product key link. After doing the under the hood activation for the components that were previously locked, you’ll have Windows 10 Pro instead. Windows 10 does not have to be reinstalled, as all components are already present, it is the license key that determines which are unlocked and active, which in turn is what determines the edition you’re running.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You also need to read this post of mine, made just yesterday, to someone who, like yourself, did not understand that you just can't randomly transplant OS drives between machines:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...booting-fine-on-another.3520529/post-21272826

cheapdoggo

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
Like others, I'm getting very confused by how you're describing things. Be detailed and specific.

Did you do a full, fresh install of Windows on the second PC? And if you did not, how did you get it onto that second PC that is not working properly?

And by a full install, we don't mean asking Windows to reset your PC or rollback, but making install media on a flash drive, booting directly to it, wiping the install drive completely, and then installing Windows from the flash drive.
nope i just slapped everything on a diff system into an ssd, then put that ssd into a diff laptop and booted off of it.

D

Deleted member 14196

You can’t swap hard drives around like that between different computers you need to install windows fresh on each computer or at least the one with the SSD

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
nope i just slapped everything on a diff system into an ssd, then put that ssd into a diff laptop and booted off of it.

Ah, that's what people were trying to ask you above! Operating system installs are not designed to be modular in this manner (unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install) so this is a non-recommended shortcut. It will sometimes work, but very frequently won't, and possibly worst of all, it might look like it worked and then you're chasing annoying problems that popup for weeks, months, or longer.

Since you did use the corner cutting method and you are having problems, there's no real point in further diagnosis at this time. Create install media, completely wipe the OS hard drive, and install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Reactions: cheapdoggo

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You can’t swap hard drives around like that between different computers

Well, you can do this. What you can't do is expect any computer with a system drive transplanted in to it from a machine with completely different hardware to run correctly.

You could never do this, regardless of the OS. I am really confused as to how the idea this can be done now is gaining currency.

USAFRet

Titan
I guess im gonna try and reset windows using a flash drive then. i already have my data backed up on a diff hard drive.
Be careful about the terminology.
Not "reset", but rather full clean install.
Wipe every partition on the drive and start over.

Read here:

cheapdoggo

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
Be careful about the terminology.
Not "reset", but rather full clean install.
Wipe every partition on the drive and start over.

Read here:
Right now im saving my pictures and stuff like that onto a 32 gb flashdrive. (some games too) after that im going to use the windows installation media to re install windows. will it use the verify thing i have on here?

cheapdoggo

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
"windows installation media "
What, exactly, do you mean by this?
i googled "windows install" then went to microsoft and downloaded the windows install iso and its doing something to my 16 gb flash drive. when its done and my files are done im going to go into the advanced startup whatever and use the drive to re-install windows.

D

Deleted member 14196

i googled "windows install" then went to microsoft and downloaded the windows install iso and its doing something to my 16 gb flash drive. when its done and my files are done im going to go into the advanced startup whatever and use the drive to re-install windows.
That is not the way to do a clean install. The link to performing a true clean install from a USB has been provided to you above

Status
Not open for further replies.