[SOLVED] I have extremely low Gpu and Cpu usage.

Jul 6, 2020
I made a post about this before but I don't think I was specific enough and so no one seemed to know how to help. I have an Rtx 2060 super with a ryzen 7 3700x. I have extremely low cpu and gpu usage (In Csgo neither went over 10% on max settings 1080p.) And very low fps especially on games such as Rust. On medium settings it can dip under 60 fps. My temps seem okay. (Around 60 c for cpu and 70-75 for gpu) Actually might be a bit hot. Ive tried turning off Hpet,Link Power state and optimizing Nvidia control panel and nothing has seemed to change anything. I dont have any frame capping technologies on and I play most games on higher settings. All my drivers are up to date and my Bios is running it's newest version. Does anyone have any information at all that could maybe fix this or make my processors perform better? Thx so much!

Last edited:
Solution
I apologize as I pretty much ended the thread in the last response but I was just curious about my PC and decided to run Userbenchmark and my Gpu and cpu both went up to 100% usage when being tested. It appears this issue only occurs in games. And now when I test my settings out a little more, my gpu does get up to 100% load when I turn my graphics settings up. My frames are still not where they should be though as the game runs at around 60-75 fps. Do you have any knew ideas for fixes for this? And should I start a new thread for this?
If youre hitting 100% in stress tests like that, this means the games youre playing arent hitting the full potential due to frame caps or graphics settings. Now is where you should start looking...
I made a post about this before but I don't think I was specific enough and so no one seemed to know how to help. I have an Rtx 2060 super with a ryzen 7 3700x. I have extremely low cpu and gpu usage (In Csgo neither went over 10% on max settings 1080p.) My temps seem okay. (Around 60 c for cpu and 70-75 for gpu) Actually might be a bit hot. Ive tried turning off Hpet,Link Power state and optimizing Nvidia control panel and nothing has seemed to change anything. I dont have any frame capping technologies on and I play most games on higher settings. All my drivers are up to date and my Bios is running it's newest version. Does anyone have any information at all that could maybe fix this or make my processors perform better? Thx so much!
CSGO isnt a very demanding game. And as long as youre hitting favorable frame rates, you have nothing to worry about. Also some software ive used in the past often doesnt display CPU and GPU usage correctly. If your temps are in the 60s and 70s while gaming and your graphics and FPS are great, dont worry about what your usage says. Hope this helped!

Jul 6, 2020
CSGO isnt a very demanding game. And as long as youre hitting favorable frame rates, you have nothing to worry about. Also some software ive used in the past often doesnt display CPU and GPU usage correctly. If your temps are in the 60s and 70s while gaming and your graphics and FPS are great, dont worry about what your usage says. Hope this helped!
That does help a good amount but I forgot to mention that my fps is a lot lower than it should be and in games like Rust, it can dip below 60 fps on medium settings.

Jul 6, 2020
And btw, thx so much for the quick response!

Wellna
That does help a good amount but I forgot to mention that my fps is a lot lower than it should be and in games like Rust, it can dip below 60 fps on medium settings.
Well as long as you have the latest drivers and updates, this might be a power supply issue. If you have a sketchy PSU or something under 500W, this could be the source of the problem. Your parts don't get enough power to share between each other but that should just shut down the computer whole so I dont know if thats it.
If you have a great PSU, then its the motherboard failing to distribute that power to your components. What board are you using?

Jul 6, 2020
Wellna

Well as long as you have the latest drivers and updates, this might be a power supply issue. If you have a sketchy PSU or something under 500W, this could be the source of the problem. Your parts don't get enough power to share between each other but that should just shut down the computer whole so I dont know if thats it.
If you have a great PSU, then its the motherboard failing to distribute that power to your components. What board are you using?
I don't think it's my psu because I have a Seasonic 80plus gold 650w fully modular one. I'm using the Asrock Phantom Gaming 4:https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 phantom Gaming 4/index.asp . Thanks again for such quick responses!

Jul 6, 2020
Wellna

I will check all the cables and power connectors tomorrow but I believe everything is okay on the hardware side. The only thing that I can think of that might be causing this would maybe be a kink in one of the connectors.

I will check all the cables and power connectors tomorrow but I believe everything is okay on the hardware side. The only thing that I can think of that might be causing this would maybe be a kink in one of the connectors.
Yeah if everything seems fine, im not sure but it could be that the CPU and GPU are set to low clocks in the BIOS settings. I have no idea why they would be set to lower clocks than factory clocks but who knows. You can easily check a GPU clock in a software made for you type of card. Ex: Aorus engine for a Gigabyte or Aorus card. Just check if everything seems normal. Im happy to continue to help you if this doesnt fix it.

Jul 6, 2020
I have my Gpu overclocked a little bit on Msi afterburner and my cpu is at 3.6 ghz which is stock. I have noticed that while my gpu has been idle, the clock seems to be lower than my OC but it goes up to my OC while gaming. I'll check on this again and see if I can give you a better explanation.

I have my Gpu overclocked a little bit on Msi afterburner and my cpu is at 3.6 ghz which is stock. I have noticed that while my gpu has been idle, the clock seems to be lower than my OC but it goes up to my OC while gaming. I'll check on this again and see if I can give you a better explanation.
Oh yeah, thats normal. Base clocks are what the GPU will run at when completely idle. I honestly have no clue what it could be then. Its possible that the lower FPS is due to another unrelated factor but im not sure. This is something you may want to reach out to maybe the motherboard manufacturer for. If your CPU and GPU face the same issue, its almost always the motherboards fault.

Jul 6, 2020
Okay thank you so much for all the help! One last question: Is there any chance that it could be fixed by reinstalling a chipset driver or something? I originally wrote this off because I recently did a clean install of windows and that didn't change anything with the usage and fps issues but now I'm just wondering if anything could possibly fix the issue.

Okay thank you so much for all the help! One last question: Is there any chance that it could be fixed by reinstalling a chipset driver or something? I originally wrote this off because I recently did a clean install of windows and that didn't change anything with the usage and fps issues but now I'm just wondering if anything could possibly fix the issue.
Not familiar with Chipset updates and all but as long as something doesnt harm your computer, its worth trying. Ive had downloads corrupt while in the process before so im sure its not rare. Always worth a shot.

Jul 6, 2020
Not familiar with Chipset updates and all but as long as something doesnt harm your computer, its worth trying. Ive had downloads corrupt while in the process before so im sure its not rare. Always worth a shot.
I apologize as I pretty much ended the thread in the last response but I was just curious about my PC and decided to run Userbenchmark and my Gpu and cpu both went up to 100% usage when being tested. It appears this issue only occurs in games. And now when I test my settings out a little more, my gpu does get up to 100% load when I turn my graphics settings up. My frames are still not where they should be though as the game runs at around 60-75 fps. Do you have any knew ideas for fixes for this? And should I start a new thread for this?

If youre hitting 100% in stress tests like that, this means the games youre playing arent hitting the full potential due to frame caps or graphics settings. Now is where you should start looking for ways to optimize your PC. Theres multiple ways to eliminate background utilization and free up RAM which can all be found in Youtube tutorials. Something I have done was change the power mode in Windows settings. I changed it from basic to performance favored and my FPS nearly doubled.

Solution
Jul 6, 2020
If youre hitting 100% in stress tests like that, this means the games youre playing arent hitting the full potential due to frame caps or graphics settings. Now is where you should start looking for ways to optimize your PC. Theres multiple ways to eliminate background utilization and free up RAM which can all be found in Youtube tutorials. Something I have done was change the power mode in Windows settings. I changed it from basic to performance favored and my FPS nearly doubled.
I think I've optimized most things in windows and Nvidia control panel but I'll see if there is anything else I can optimize.