[SOLVED] I have gigabit fiber internet and im only getting 10mbs max in the attic(wired)but down stair i get 450mbs easily please help

Jan 11, 2020
So i have fiber gigabit internet and al my hardware is compatible but in the attic im still getting a max of 11mbs instead of what im getting downstairs where im getting 450mbs easily. We wired our internet straight from the router to a switch and the a cable that goes to the attic.

Solution
Likely a bad cable especially if the device you use to test gets faster speeds plugged in with a short cable directly.

Hard to say all depends on the details of how you have this installed. Generally it is the connection at the ends that has issues with in wall cabling. You should be able to reterminate them. The wire itself is seldom the cause unless you purchased fake cable. The wire must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no thin or flat cables). These restrictions are much more important when you are running longer distance though walls where it is hard to replace.

Cables are really strange when they are bad. They can work on some devices but not others. Us home users can not afford the equipment to...
Likely a bad cable especially if the device you use to test gets faster speeds plugged in with a short cable directly.

Hard to say all depends on the details of how you have this installed. Generally it is the connection at the ends that has issues with in wall cabling. You should be able to reterminate them. The wire itself is seldom the cause unless you purchased fake cable. The wire must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no thin or flat cables). These restrictions are much more important when you are running longer distance though walls where it is hard to replace.

Cables are really strange when they are bad. They can work on some devices but not others. Us home users can not afford the equipment to really test cables so we are left with blindly replacing stuff.

Reactions: sleepyTabby
Solution
Jan 11, 2020

Cables are really strange when they are bad. They can work on some devices but not others. Us home users can not afford the equipment to really test cables so we are left with blindly replacing stuff.
Im gonna look aroun for a btter cable then ill keep the thread posted