I have HD Direct but a basic tuner. What is a cheap way to watch HD programs in

rdeanstew

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I have HDDVR in my den by DirecTV. I have a basic cable box in my bedroom and therefore cannot watch the HD only channels I get on my other TV. What do I need to buy to get HD in my bedroom. I am not interested in spending a lot of money since we might watch it 30 minutes a night.

Well I'm not exactly sure if this is the cheapest route but you may want to look into this. CETON makes a pci-e express cable card solution. And what you do is you buy a card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815706001 and you obtain a cable card through the cable/satellite company if they offer them. And pretty much what you do by doing this is eliminate your need for a cable box you don't need a fancy box with a DVR because what you can do is have your PC be your DVR. The only thing you would need to have your TV work with this is a media extender like a xbox 360. You save money over time because you don't have to pay for a DVR and you eliminate the cost of a cable box.

A little video explaining it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEBHVjIu_o

D

Deleted member 217926

The real question is why do you have Directv and cable? Just drop the cable and tell Directv you want to add another room. It will cost you $5 a month. They may want to charge you for installing the new box ( the HD receiver will be free ) but I would bet if you tell them you will drop cable they will install it free. If you can't convince them the install would be about $30 if I recall correctly. Either way it will be as cheap or cheaper than trying to do it any other way and you will certainly have better channels.

rdeanstew

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Bigshooter's reply is correct. Sorry I used cable as a descriptor not a technology.

D

Deleted member 217926

Have you asked Directv to upgrade you to an HD box? They upgraded all my non DVR boxes to the HD model as part of their regular ongoing upgrades. Years ago when they upgraded everyone to the single Slimline dish. They don't even have an SD only box anymore. Everyone gets the HD boxes.

D

Deleted member 217926

I love my Directv. They are pretty good at customer service too as long as you are willing to pester them a bit. Glad you got it worked out!