I have high ping spikes

BunniPig

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Hi guys,

So I recently started my second year of university and as such have moved into a house with five other people.

The internet we have in this house is VirginMedia and we have a SuperHub3, the DL speed is normally between 55-70 and is very fast, however when everyone is on the internet which is usually in the evenings I will experience pretty regular and very annoying ping spikes whilst playing League of Legends.

I think this is because a couple of people will be watching Netflix and I know one other person is also gaming.

We all have ethernet ports in our rooms which connect back directly to the Router.

My question is, is there anyway for me to improve my ping, I have already looked to see if the Router has QoS settings but unfortunately the Virgin SuperHub doesn't provide these settings.

Thanks for your help!

BunniPig

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

So will I be able to plug this router into the ethernet port in my room and use it as a modem?

I have no knowledge in this area so apologises if I'm speaking complete rubbish.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

proper setup should look like this:

VirginMedia cable -> SuperHub3 -> edgerouter-lite -> ethernet switch -> workstations

routing should be disabled on SuperHub3, only modem functionality is necessary for the above setup to work.

BunniPig

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

Ok but the SuperHub3 is upstairs in the hall, and my room is downstairs in my room, and I have a direct ethernet cable link to that SuperHub3, so do I plug the edgerouterlite into the ethernet port in my room? then plug ethernet cable from the edgerouterlite into my computer?

Sorry again for being a noob, really appreciate the help.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
its up to you to figure out what goes upstairs or downstairs, keep in mind that all computers need to go through the edgerouter in order for QoS to work properly thats why you need a switch, the edgerouter does not have enough ports.

look at this one more time:

VirginMedia cable -> WAN port SuperHub3 LAN port -> WAN port edgerouter-lite LAN port -> ethernet switch -> workstations

BunniPig

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

Ok that helps a lot thank you.

I understand what you mean now, I was just being stupid.

Mm I'm not sure if this will fix the issue because only me and one other go through LAN, most of them just use Wireless on their laptops. :/

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

ah, the plot thickens, the edgerouter is not the right product for you.
you will need to find a wireless router with QoS