Question I have no clue what causes this to happen...

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi

So the reason I am making this thread is because my PC is restarting while playing games. I have this issue for quite some time . For example if I play dark souls 3 and run it on Lowest settings 1280 x 720 it restarts after 3-4 hrs if I play it on higher resolution or settings it restarts faster , and If I run it on 800x480 its all good ( I played for like 8 hrs no restarts so I guess its fine with that resolution ) Thing is like before that issue accured I was playing the game highest settings with 1920 x 1080 with no problems ( 40 + fps ) Same thing with other games like League of legends ( If I turn shadows and effects on highest settings it restarts after some hours otherwise it runs forever )
Things I have tried :
Changed HDD
Changed PSU
Switched RAM
Formated the system
Changed powercable
Different drivers
Checked temps ( cpu below 70 and gpu around 65-75C )
Could it be a faulty GPU ? But if thats the case why can I run for example league of legends non stop for many hours straight but with some settings turned down ?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
That's why you are getting system restarts, IMO. That looks like some cheap/generic low-end PSU. NEVER heard of this brand before. I suspect your PSU to be at fault here. Please DON'T skimp or cheap out on the PSU. This is the MOST important PC component.

Grab yourself some other high-quality upper TIER PSU from known brands like SEASONIC, EVGA, Corsair, ANTEC, FSP, and others. Do not take any risk. Which GPU do you actually have ? When you increase the in-game settings to high/ultra, then that might be putting some load on both the PSU/GPU, and maybe the power supply is unable to provide sufficient power to the card.

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
That's why you are getting system restarts, IMO. That looks like some cheap/generic low-end PSU. NEVER heard of this brand before. I suspect your PSU to be at fault here. Please DON'T skimp or cheap out on the PSU. This is the MOST important PC component.

Grab yourself some other high-quality upper TIER PSU from known brands like SEASONIC, EVGA, Corsair, ANTEC, FSP, and others. Do not take any risk. Which GPU do you actually have ? When you increase the in-game settings to high/ultra, then that might be putting some load on both the PSU/GPU, and maybe the power supply is unable to provide sufficient power to the card.

Yeah but the thing is I had the issue with my older PSU , I upgraded to this one and the issue still remains. Even if it is a crappy PSU I doubt it would cause the same issues at the exact same times my old PSU did. I got it new and it didnt help at all the moment I installed it the issue was there. Thats why I am thinking it cant be the psu

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Okay. What was the make and model number of your older PSU ? Let's rule out the PSU for the time being. With that being said, what are your full PC specs ? Which GPU are you using ?

I cant remember the name of my old PSU but I had it for like 7 years without problems

Intel Core i5 2400 3.3ghz
GTX 660 3gb OC
8GB ram 1333
Win 10 64bit

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well as @Metal Messiah. said i would say that your power supply is faulty here thats why you are getting loop restarts. When computer doesn't get enough power it either restarts or instant shutdown.
You have to remember your old power supply so we could help further in this issue.
I would recommend buying a better power supply.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Hi

So the reason I am making this thread is because my PC is restarting while playing games. I have this issue for quite some time . For example if I play dark souls 3 and run it on Lowest settings 1280 x 720 it restarts after 3-4 hrs if I play it on higher resolution or settings it restarts faster , and If I run it on 800x480 its all good ( I played for like 8 hrs no restarts so I guess its fine with that resolution ) Thing is like before that issue accured I was playing the game highest settings with 1920 x 1080 with no problems ( 40 + fps ) Same thing with other games like League of legends ( If I turn shadows and effects on highest settings it restarts after some hours otherwise it runs forever )
Things I have tried :
Changed HDD
Changed PSU
Switched RAM
Formated the system
Changed powercable
Different drivers
Checked temps ( cpu below 70 and gpu around 65-75C )
Could it be a faulty GPU ? But if thats the case why can I run for example league of legends non stop for many hours straight but with some settings turned down ?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

None of these things would have helped you really since you changed to a bad power supply. You need to test the video card in another system with a known good power supply or another card with a similar power draw as yours to see where the issue is. Changing the drive, RAM and re-installing Windows should be done after testing the video card and power supply.