[SOLVED] I have no display running my radeon R9280x so am using integrated gfx but am unsure if psu or gpu that's the issue

Aug 11, 2019
I have run pretty comprehensively through troubleshooting and still cant get the gfx card to run however as I'm not sure if it's the psu or not, If I buy a new gfx card to test is there a possibility that if the PSU is faulty it will brick the new gfx card ?

Last edited:
Solution
Asus A55M-A Mobo
AMD Richland A-10 6800k CPU
2x Kingston hyper X beast 4GB ram
Gfx Radeon R9280x card
PSU Aurum 92 series PT 550M
NZXT tower case
Nocturna dual fans
1 TB HD
Is the PSU from 2013 too? If so you may want to check the functionality of the PSU. The Aurum is a mediocre to good unit, and could well be worn, as PSUs deteriorate over time. I know the Aurums had poorer 3.3V rail regulation, but that shouldn't really cause damage to a GPU.

Have you got a GPU you can borrow from someone else?
Overall I'd put the bets on the GPU, but there's no way to really test without trying another one, the age of the PSU could be indicator. So borrowing a good quality PSU would help test that.
Aug 11, 2019
Details here but I've pretty much exhausted my options, I even took apart the gfx to check the capacitors which look fine.
So now I'm looking at replacement parts and as my CPU, mobo, integrated gfx etc are working along with gpu fan and lights I was going to replace the gfx card and go from there.
However I dont want to brick a new GPU

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Asus A55M-A Mobo
AMD Richland A-10 6800k CPU
2x Kingston hyper X beast 4GB ram
Gfx Radeon R9280x card
PSU Aurum 92 series PT 550M
NZXT tower case
Nocturna dual fans
1 TB HD
Is the PSU from 2013 too? If so you may want to check the functionality of the PSU. The Aurum is a mediocre to good unit, and could well be worn, as PSUs deteriorate over time. I know the Aurums had poorer 3.3V rail regulation, but that shouldn't really cause damage to a GPU.

Have you got a GPU you can borrow from someone else?
Overall I'd put the bets on the GPU, but there's no way to really test without trying another one, the age of the PSU could be indicator. So borrowing a good quality PSU would help test that.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've checked the PSU in bios and system monitor
What did you check? The only thing you really can check are voltages software-wise. There is no software test. It can only be properly tested by swapping it and seeing.

Another but less effective method is to boot up the PSU seperately and check each rail with a multimeter, but this only simulated power at idle, when many faulty PSUs fault under load.