I have no idea what's happening and I've never seen this

gpufrier

Commendable
May 22, 2016
So, here it is:

I got a brand new PC, built everything so far no errors.

Then windows wouldn't open, it'd tell me to "insert a bootable drive".

But I have my hard drive there and the BIOS recognises it, and it has windows 7.

I tried to format it again but the windows 7 installer wouldn't see it, resulting in a message saying that I had no drives.

But when I went to disk repair, it didn't show it as well but if I go to command prompt and type "diskpart, disk list" it DOES recognise it and allows me to format or clean.

But I have files there that I don't want to lose, so I cant clean or format it.

Any ideas?

Solution

gpufrier

Commendable
May 22, 2016

How can it be toasted if It's brand new and it was perfectly functional 2 days ago when I formatted it

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Out-of box failures happen sometimes, unfortunately. Someone else might have a better idea for sure, but I've had drives fail over the years that can be seen by some parts of the system, but can't actually be accessed. If you have an external enclosure, I'd put it in that and try it on another machine, just to see if you can access it. That will give you a better idea if it's a bad drive or not.

The good news is that you've likely got some sort of warranty on it (shame about the files, though.)

gpufrier

Commendable
May 22, 2016
I can access all the files inside it, using the disk repair on windows.

But for some reason it isn't recognised.

Should I just say fuck to my files and format it

yeah, I'm sure that I have no USB's

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
If you can access the files, then obviously first back them up to something else. It sounded like above you were saying that you couldn't access it even though you could see it. after that, you have nothing to lose by reformatting.

Sounds like a mbr problem (Master Boot Record), yes put the drive on another pc and do the file backup of your important files.
Then install the drive into your pc, download an run the free EasyBCD
See if it can repair the boot sector as well the file system

Otherwise, do a fresh new format and a complete Windows instillation.

This is just a long shot.
Best regards from Sweden

gpufrier

Commendable
May 22, 2016

I can't format it though, and I can't use easy BCD if I can't boot...

Possible go to a friend and download BCD, burn on a CD so you can boot from it.
Or do you have Windows installation DVD? Restart the computer and let it boot from the DVD.
Then you will find some options among several, do a repair, just follow the instructions.

Btw. It doesn't matter which Windows DVD as long as it it newer than Windows XP - that it will not work.

Best regards from Sweden

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

You should be able to boot from a USB and then do the format. Try downloading Windows USB tool and then you will be able to format.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

gpufrier

Commendable
May 22, 2016
I can't format..like I said before it simply doesn't recognise my HD in windows 7 installation. But weirdly lets me browse throughout it in REPAIR mode, still in win7 installation

You must do a proper Windows installation, then run Windows update, restart the computer, run Windows update again, restart, run Windows update again, and make ure that you install all the Windows options, restart.

Please see this guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-(Beginners)
Best regards from Sweden

gpufrier

Commendable
May 22, 2016

Look, I'm really not a begineer in this.

I'm in my second year of college in software engineering so I definitely know how to install windows.

I'm most likely not being really clear, so I'll try to be as clear as possible.

Do you know right when you open your Windows 7 Installation? RIGHT after selecting your keyboard region you're prone to selecting your hard drive, well my hard drive doesn't show up there at all.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

OK, I would recommend running something like HDD Regenerator http://www.dposoft.net/hdd.html though it is not free. You might be lucky if your IT department at your university has this software (or similar). It will enable you to re-write the master boot record which may fix the drive. I did find this alternative http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/ but I cannot recommend it as I have never used it.

Solution