[SOLVED] I have no idea where to connect these LED fan connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak87

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
Hi all! I bought an Ionz KZ02 case (cheaptastic, I know 😂) the other year when I saw it on offer for an extremely low price. It comes with three blue LED (so not RGB) fans which I have mounted to the front of the case.

I have never installed LED/RGB fans before, so I am a bit confused as to where I need to plug these connectors (pictured below) into? There is no place on the motherboard for them to go, or do I plug them into the PSU? I believe that my PSU came with a daisy chain connector which might be compatible with these connectors. Even if that is the case, I'm still unsure on how I would go about setting it all up.

I have a Rog Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard & a Corsair CX650F RGB PSU if that helps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
The J32 2 pin is attached to one of the 3 fans.

That's weird. Also, i haven't seen any fan that would have this small connector.

Standard fans have 4 types of connectors to power them:
  1. MOLEX connector - plugs into PSU and fan runs 100% all the time.
  2. 2-pin DC connector - plugs into MoBo and fan runs 100% all the time. <- This is obsolete connection and was used long time ago (10+ years) to power the fan. Also, some industrial fans may have this connector.
  3. 3-pin DC connector - plugs into MoBo and you can adjust FAN speed (by controlling input voltage) + provides RPM data back to MoBo (e.g viewable from BIOS)
  4. 4-pin PWM connector - plugs into MoBo and you can adjust FAN speed (by controlling PWM signal) + provides...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the connectors you show here (the bigger, wider ones) are MOLEX connectors and those plug to your PSU, to power the fans. Though, do note that with these, you can not control fan speeds and fans will run 100% all the time.

As far as that small J32 2-pin connector goes, i have no clue. There are some headers where it would fit but without knowing what is at the other end of that wire (fan or RGB button), i have no idea.
Your case does come with "RGB button" on front I/O panel and retail page says: "RGB Button (compatible Motherboard Required)" but is that the same connector or not, i can't tell.

Btw, if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.

Reactions: GuitarFreak87

GuitarFreak87

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
Most of the connectors you show here (the bigger, wider ones) are MOLEX connectors and those plug to your PSU, to power the fans. Though, do note that with these, you can not control fan speeds and fans will run 100% all the time.

As far as that small J32 2-pin connector goes, i have no clue. There are some headers where it would fit but without knowing what is at the other end of that wire (fan or RGB button), i have no idea.
Your case does come with "RGB button" on front I/O panel and retail page says: "RGB Button (compatible Motherboard Required)" but is that the same connector or not, i can't tell.

Btw, if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.

Many thanks for your help! I have a daisy chain molex link cable that came with my PSU, it has three connectors on it, so I'm guessing that I'll plug the fan connectors to the daisy cable, and then plug that cable into the PSU, right?

The J32 2 pin is attached to one of the 3 fans. I ripped off the front of the case to look at the RGB button, but there's nothing there. So I'm a bit puzzled as to how that would work. Haha!

I just decided to take a punt on the case because it had fairly good reviews, and it was only 20 pounds on offer with a tempered glass window. The case doesn't seem that bad, just was a bit confused with the fans. Haha!

Again, many thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The J32 2 pin is attached to one of the 3 fans.

That's weird. Also, i haven't seen any fan that would have this small connector.

2. 2-pin DC connector - plugs into MoBo and fan runs 100% all the time. <- This is obsolete connection and was used long time ago (10+ years) to power the fan. Also, some industrial fans may have this connector.
  3. 3-pin DC connector - plugs into MoBo and you can adjust FAN speed (by controlling input voltage) + provides RPM data back to MoBo (e.g viewable from BIOS)
  4. 4-pin PWM connector - plugs into MoBo and you can adjust FAN speed (by controlling PWM signal) + provides RPM data back to MoBo (e.g viewable from BIOS) <- Upgrade to 3-pin method.

Standard fan power connectors:

el1iB62.png

The fan LED connectors are another ballpark and there are 3 distinct ones:
  1. 4-pin 12V RGB connector - plugs into MoBo's 4-pin RGB header and MoBo software is used to control LEDs. Note: individual LED control is impossible with this.
  2. 3-pin 5V ARGB connector - plugs into MoBo's 3-pin ARGB header and MoBo software is used to control LEDs. Individual LED control is possible.
  3. Proprietary connectors - If the fan doesn't have 4-pin or 3-pin connector, it has one of MANY proprietary connectors, which only work with same brand hardware. E.g NZXT AER fans, that work only with NZXT HUE. Phanteks also has some proprietary LED connectors on their fans and so does Corsair.

Standard fan LED connectors:

images-1-jpg.130060

E.g below is one of many proprietary fan connectors. This one is 6-pin and has both the fan power and fan LED wires in one connector, requiring same brand hardware to use it.
Example comes from Aerocool.

6-Pin-350x350.png

As far as your J32 connector goes, it doesn't make sense of it being the obsolete 2-pin power connector. Since your fans get the power from MOLEX connector. Also, it isn't neither of the two common LED connectors, since it's only a 2-pin connector and not 3-pin or 4-pin one. So, my best guess is that it's some form of proprietary connector and where that plugs into - i have 0 clue. Your best bet would be contacting case manufacturer and ask it from them. Or read case manual, if it came with one.

Reactions: GuitarFreak87
Solution

GuitarFreak87

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020

4. 4-pin PWM connector - plugs into MoBo and you can adjust FAN speed (by controlling PWM signal) + provides RPM data back to MoBo (e.g viewable from BIOS) <- Upgrade to 3-pin method.
Standard fan power connectors:

el1iB62.png

The fan LED connectors are another ballpark and there are 3 distinct ones:
  1. 4-pin 12V RGB connector - plugs into MoBo's 4-pin RGB header and MoBo software is used to control LEDs. Note: individual LED control is impossible with this.
  2. 3-pin 5V ARGB connector - plugs into MoBo's 3-pin ARGB header and MoBo software is used to control LEDs. Individual LED control is possible.
  3. Proprietary connectors - If the fan doesn't have 4-pin or 3-pin connector, it has one of MANY proprietary connectors, which only work with same brand hardware. E.g NZXT AER fans, that work only with NZXT HUE. Phanteks also has some proprietary LED connectors on their fans and so does Corsair.
Standard fan LED connectors:

images-1-jpg.130060

E.g below is one of many proprietary fan connectors. This one is 6-pin and has both the fan power and fan LED wires in one connector, requiring same brand hardware to use it.
Example comes from Aerocool.

6-Pin-350x350.png

As far as your J32 connector goes, it doesn't make sense of it being the obsolete 2-pin power connector. Since your fans get the power from MOLEX connector. Also, it isn't neither of the two common LED connectors, since it's only a 2-pin connector and not 3-pin or 4-pin one. So, my best guess is that it's some form of proprietary connector and where that plugs into - i have 0 clue. Your best bet would be contacting case manufacturer and ask it from them. Or read case manual, if it came with one.

First of all, thank you so much for the very detailed reply! I appreciate that a lot!

Sadly, the case didn't come with a manual, and I haven't found any examples of anyone else using the case. I'll try contacting the manufacturer, but I strongly doubt that I'll get anywhere with that. Still, better to try than to not.

I'll try connecting these fans to the PSU and get report back here soon.

Again, many thanks!

Reactions: Aeacus
Status
Not open for further replies.