I have one gtx 780 and I want to SLI it but I don't know if I should get another 780 or try and sli and 780 and a 960

G

I have one gtx 780 and I want to SLI it but I don't know if I should get another 780 or try and SLI and 780 and a 960 but I don't know how to SLI them because they are different cards, but I want to improve performance by doing this.

Not really it would probably give a 30% boost or so on most games maybe better under DX12 (who knows yet) Though unless your using better than 1080p there probably isn't going to be too much point in it right now. Unless of course you just found a fantastic 780 deal.

G

Ok thanks, one last thing would it be possible to use a NVIDIA and an AMD In one monitor.

I use a 780 for gaming at 1080p and have decided sli is not a good option. The 3gb VRAM of the 780 is a limiting factor and as VRAM would stay at 3gb when in sli you end up with a lot of gpu power but limited by the 3gb. I would ignore DX12 as we are years from it being mainstream.

In COD AW & BO3 and GTA V my graphics settings are limited by my vram usage hitting 100% and causing stuttering. So I have spare gpu power but not enough vram. Now this is fixed by lowering a few settings. However with sli I would still be limited to the same game settings. I suspect this will become more common with future games. Personally I am waiting now for the next gen GPU's where I will also upgrade to G-sync and 1440p.

You cannot combine a NVIDIA and AMD card to drive one monitor

G

Code:

Would I be best selling my 780 (it is pretty much new) and getting a 970

Short answer: No

Long answer: Sort of. Some of the DX12 games (well ashes of the singularity so just one and that is basically alpha status for that) will let that happen but we are years from that becoming widely supported. So for now no.

Up to you but I wouldn't. That 780 really shouldn't be giving you any problems on most games for now and Polaris/Pascal should be dropping later this year.