Question I have power supply that only has 3, 8 pin connecters. can i use another slot for a 4th 8 pin?

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
1 of the 3 slots is powering the motherboard/CPU and i need the other 2 to run my new RTX 2080 ti. I also have a second graphics card Quadro K4200 which requires an 8 pin. There are other slots like 24 pin ATX? can i plug it into that? or would a pcie Splitter work? if they exist.

The quadro takes an 8 pin from the PSU and plugs in a 6 pin. does this mean i could use a 6 pin in the PSU too? which would free up an 8 pin for the RTX

PSU corsair rm750

Thanks!!

L

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you need to keep the K4200 in there?

Are you going to be loading both cards simultaneously? I.e. gaming on the 2080 Ti while running a simulation (or whatever) on the K4200?

Edit: That PSU should have six 8-pin PCIe connectors (3 cables with two connectors each). I don't see what the issue is here.

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
It does not work like that.

The pins have different voltages.

The PCIe cables have two PCIe Powe connectors on each cable. Why are you using two separate cables to power your 2080?

Yeah that makes sense, i did think that however i'm no expert.

the 2080 ti requires 2, 8 pin connecters to power it. is there an alternative you can suggest?

Thanks,

L

Yeah that makes sense, i did think that however i'm no expert.

the 2080 ti requires 2, 8 pin connecters to power it. is there an alternative you can suggest?

Thanks,

L

Maybe you didn't understand me before. Let me try again....

Each PCIe cable on that PSU has TWO PCIe connectors. Your GPU needs TWO PCIe power connectors. Therefore, you can just use ONE CABLE. There's no reason for you to be using two separate cables for ONE CARD.

Understand?

You need to open up your PC and look at it. You'll see what I mean. You probably have extra, unused connectors just hanging around.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
I'm afraid not it only has 3? otherwise yes you'd be right there would be no problem.

@TJ Hooker is correct. There are THREE CABLES. Each with TWO PCIe connectors on it. You should have a total of SIX PCIe power connectors.

Open up your PC and take a look.

Who built this for you? Did you? Does the PSU have the original cables or did someone make custom cables for it? The only reason you should have cables with only one connector on it is if you're not using the original cables that came with that PSU.

This is your PCIe cable:

PCIe.JPG

See how it has two power connectors on it?

TRENDING THREADS