Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
I have problem with installing windows 7 on M.2 Drive

I have
Asus z170 pro gaming
Samsung NVME 950 M.2 drive

I tried to install windows 7 on M.2, but it does not allows me
I have tried to set CSM to UEFI and disabled(other os) for secure boot
and I have FAT32 UEFI usb windows installer.
but it shows me
"a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing......"
message...

So I have an extra hdd so I installed windows 7 on there to see if the computer detect the M.2 SSD, but it did not detect there either..

what do i do??

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Ya can't install windows 7 on a nvme ssd unless it's a sp2 windows 7 copy nvme only supports uefi and got partions

Trust me I've tried ide get a sp2 copy of win 7 pro to install cause supports uefi installs but lock up on a full uefi boot might work if ya install it in uefi mode so it's a got partions on the ssd . The switch to legacy after boot . But far as I know nvme drive only support full uefi boosts . Time to got to win 8 or 10 hehe

Solution

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Worse case scenario is to install 7 on a different drive then upgrade to 10 while it's still free then do a web search for windows media creation tool and make a bootable windows 10 USB or DVD or blue ray then fresh install 10 after words on the nvme drive in uefi mode

seem to me you got to install during the 7 install not after ??? it got to have and find the driver during the install ???

you know that spot during the windows instll that asks you about inserting a driver and you point it to the driver on the usb drive so it can grab it and use it to finish installinf on the needed hardware used ??

good luck

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Even if that was the case it's stated that nvme ssd only support uefi installations and gpt partion witch a uefi install only works on a gpt partition if ya read above.

Not trying to have pissing contest just stating the facts.

lol then when it all said and done he will wish he left 7 alone and intact and just done a stand alone 10 so he would still have 7 to fall back on [opinion]

maybe easier to put 7 on a cheap or old/used platter hard drive then ''upgrade'' to 10 then clone over to the ssd/m2 using its software it it allows cloning and moving 10 to the ssd /m2 easy??

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
The prob is he got a nvme ssd witch are new and don't support legacy installs witch technology of any kind ya can't always expect it to be reverse compatible.
They gave us plenty of warnings in the industry that uefi bios was here to stay before long devices won't support legacy installs at all it's already getting there.

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Yes he could install 7 then clone the drive over but if he's installs 7 in legacy mode then will not work chase it's got to be in a got partition windows 7 does does support uefi installs but only if ya got a full windows 7 install disk with sp2 on the installation medium but 10 doesn't always upgrade correctly over the top of windows 7 do to driver or pre installed software

i'll tell him as I try to tell the rest upgrades are for the birds just get [buy] a retail disk of tten and do a real live clean fresh install on your new drive

that way it installed clean and right you risk screwing up you win7 and you got 7 as a back up os [clean] if 10 don't woprk out as most find it don't or just regret ''converting'' 7 to 10 and find it was a mistake

to be honest I have to hate your guts to recommend 10 to you to start with [opinion] if I needed a new os I get a retail disk 100% clean and fresh not do a half bread 7/10 monstrosity 1/2 butt this 1/2 butt that upgrade [more opinion ]

good luck

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Why when ya can get a copy of Windows 10 for free just got to upgrade from 7 to 10 first to activate the digital entitlement to your system and once the windows 10 anniversary update hits they changing the digital entitlement s to be linked to your Microsoft account . Windows is no longer a O's is a service like Android . Things change man . Either et with the time or be left in the dust so to speak .

why would I ruin a solid fully working with out issue 7 for that junk issue full 10 to start with ? then all you got is a cross bread OS at best

oh'well to each his own we all know how Microsoft like to give there stuff away for free , right ??
it ferr so it can ruin your old working copy of the older os and trap you in to junk 10 why I say save you 7 and buy a copy of 10 upgrading you may be out 2 os's and still buying a 3ed to get going lol.....

good luck

well I still run XP and vista so no big deal that's with anything ? I don't except most of the updates anyway decline and hide you don't get that6 with 10 just a postpone its Microsoft's computer now not yours matter of fact I got a vista and a 7 that's never been activated and been running them for years like that [full retail copies ] .. then what you'll say dx12 next ?? maybe in 2 -5 more years it may become a consideration at best

the point I'm trying to make is just cut the chase and grab a retail disk of 10 and be done with it the upgrade if things go wrong you don't have a leg to stand on with the retail disk you got the disk copy and all that goes with it for repair or re install what ever you don't have or get with the upgrade you may find its well worth the 100 bucks down the road

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892

'' your Microsoft account after the anniversary update'' ya I forgot 10 is cloud based [no thanks]

then I can run a 900 card on down to XP still ? so there them years on that I get all the life out of card I buy not but the latest everytime one comes out .. see your points are mute.. and seems you fall hook line and sinker for there hype and smokescreens must see you coming a mile away

anyway good luck