[SOLVED] I have problems with updating my XFX RX 590 Fatboy 8gb

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Hi, so I've cleaninstalled my windows. And I've downloaded all the updates except for the GPU. I have CD's of that, but last time I did a cleaninstall, I used the internet for the drivers of the GPU.
Now that I cleaninstalled, I suddenly can't update my XFX RX 590 Fatboy 8gb to the latest version. It says Error 184 your operating system is not supportive. But I've updated my windows 10 completely. It says no updates have been found... I've DDU'd, I ran previous versions, same problem. The only thing that kind of helped is when I installed with the CD of XFX. But this can't be a good way since this version of GPU is now 18.2.

Specs
Aerocool GT-A white (8years)(will be replaced soon)
PSU: non modulair Corsair CX 750w (8years) (will be replaced soon)
Mobo: MSI Z170 gaming a (5 years old)
CPU: Intel core I7 6700 non k with stock cooler (5 years old)
Ram: Hyperx 16gb DDR4 (5 years old)
GPU: amd XFX RX590 Fatboy 8gb (almost 3 years old) (downvolted)
SSD: Kingston 240gb (5 years old)
HDD: WD 1,5 tb (10+ years old)
Display LG 24 inch 1080p 144hz 1ms (2 years old)
Windows version: 1511

What can I do?

Please do not tell me that either my windows or my graphicscard is outdated and that I need to buy new ones... I'm on a budget, so I don't have the money!
Thanks for the answers!

Last edited:

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
What do you mean update your fat boy? Bios or drivers? It should be as simple as install windows, to go AMDs website and install drivers. Why didn't this work?
Due to trying before, I now only have my CD from XFX installed. Right now my RX 590 has the veersion of 18.8.1. Newest drivers are 21.11.3. I can't update to 21.11.3. It says error 184. It said that it cannot install new drivers due to my operation system not being supportive. But this cannot be as I had a clean install a year ago and I didn't had problems back then.
I usually download the drivers from the AMD site itself. Suddenly it stopped working and I don't know why I can't install the newest update. Neither can I install previous versions...

I'm not experienced. So if this is the BIOS, then yea I'm doomed. I'm even more doomed if my card stopped working due to the new windows updates...

Last edited:

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I've ddu'd in safe mode (again). Afterwards, nothing.
I've turned off my pc and manually took out the graphics card and put it back in. Still nothing. Windows says it's up to date till 06/2020. I can't find other updates of windows. And if I found them, I can't download them either.

Graphicscard still says Error 184: Cannot install due to your operating system being not supportive.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
What OS do you have?

Edit: Here are the 590 drivers. Select 7, 10, or 11.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-590
Solved. But it was something else though. I asked in the win10 section and someone came up with some sort of page: update assistance, to get the win10 from november 2021. My OS was version 1511 originally and updated till 2004 not any further then the update of 9-6-2020.

Odd thing though... I don't understand why I needed to do that extra step. It should have recognised it by now without that assistance tool.