[SOLVED] I have red lights on my motherboard i could use your guys help if possible.

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
So I just switched my PSU over from a 650 watt to a 850 watt PSU and I switch out all the cables and placed them back the same way other than the Sata one which I'm not sure where I had those in and on this PSU 1, 2 and 3 are the other way so I put them in and hoped .

The pc loads fine but I noticed on the mother board the dram light comes on red first at boot then it goes VGA and after that when I turn the pc off the CPU one comes on. Is it because I mixed the satas or have I missed something. On task manager a lot of cpu and some you is being used more than normal.

These are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: barracuda 2tb sshd

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card

Case: NZXT S340

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (was a 650 of the same brand)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Thanks for any help I don't wanna run it like this.

Solution
I'm using an X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, those red lights are the Ez Debug LEDs and those lights cycling through the 4 spots is just the POST(Power On Self Test) process and it is completely normal. As for your CPU and (?)you(?) usage if it is significantly more than before, something might be wrong. If it is a small margin of maybe 1-3% more I count it as tolerable margin. If the red LED stays on, then something is wrong.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-SLI#down-manual Page 36 explains what the LED means if they stay on.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
I'm using an X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, those red lights are the Ez Debug LEDs and those lights cycling through the 4 spots is just the POST(Power On Self Test) process and it is completely normal. As for your CPU and (?)you(?) usage if it is significantly more than before, something might be wrong. If it is a small margin of maybe 1-3% more I count it as tolerable margin. If the red LED stays on, then something is wrong.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-SLI#down-manual Page 36 explains what the LED means if they stay on.

Reactions: harry_46
Solution

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Oh ok thanks so much I was <Mod Edit> myself coz I never noticed those before lol. They do stay on to be fair it's just when it starts or closes

Last edited by a moderator:

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016

Wallpaper engine was 60% CPU for some reason and my GPU goes 100% on game about the temperatures seem fine
Thanks for the help I'm playing now