I Have Royally Messed Up Windows After a Reset

fromansk6

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
I recently reset Windows 10 due to a number of reasons. I won't go into those here.

After attempting to reset my PC the first time, I received an error message that the computer had failed to reset. I tried it again, this time overnight, and woke up to find that my computer no longer detected an operating system. This seems obvious now that I think about it - I DID tell the PC to completely reset everything (i.e. delete all files on both hard drives) though I had assumed that it would at least retain the operating system.

Now when I turn on my PC it claims there is no OS installed. This is entirely outside the realm of my experience and I'm not sure where to proceed. The only thing I have in the way of reinstalling windows is an old Windows 8.1 disc, but when I try to install it, I am told that none of my hard drives are usable for the installation.

I've tried troubleshooting/disagnosing the issue and Windows can't come up with anything.

If you need any additional information I would be happy to provide it.

Thank you.

Solution
It depends on if you're desperate to retain data from the HDD currently or not.

A reset reinstalls the operating system at its default state, so the reset shouldn't have wiped any OS, which would suggest some corruption or hardware error has occurred along the way.

The easiest and best thing to do really is to reinstall the operating system, if you're struggling to do this, it would be useful to know what error you are getting, however I would suspect all you'll simply need to do is access Command prompt in the installer and format the drive. This however (like the install) will wipe all data from the hard drive.

Just bear in mind that depending on what issues you've had, and the reset failing, it COULD be indicative of a hardware...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It depends on if you're desperate to retain data from the HDD currently or not.

A reset reinstalls the operating system at its default state, so the reset shouldn't have wiped any OS, which would suggest some corruption or hardware error has occurred along the way.

The easiest and best thing to do really is to reinstall the operating system, if you're struggling to do this, it would be useful to know what error you are getting, however I would suspect all you'll simply need to do is access Command prompt in the installer and format the drive. This however (like the install) will wipe all data from the hard drive.

Just bear in mind that depending on what issues you've had, and the reset failing, it COULD be indicative of a hardware problem. Not absolutely of course, but it's a possibility.

Solution