[SOLVED] I have some problems trying to update my BIOS

MejiMOCO

Commendable
Aug 29, 2019
Hello, i have noticed a few issues related to the performance of my gpu and some random system crashes that dont even drop a blue screen error, as well as the cpu frequency going down to 0,38ghz after opening a mid-high resources consuming game

My windows is updated and i have the latest drivers of my graphic card, my gpu frequency locks at 400 mhz while playing a game which causes constant fps drops and inestable performance

In the description of the BIOS updates made by the manufacter (HP in this case) there is one note that describes the random crash fix. The issue here is that i dont know if i should update my BIOS from the manufacter software as the person that installed the OS and everything including the BIOS used a AMI (American Megatrends) bios .
The version and date of the BIOS shows that its clearly outdated , HP released a decent amount of BIOS updates since the date of the bios that i have installed, but i dont know if something could go wrong if i try to update my BIOS with the HP software

I would want to have stable performance in games and just solve these issues overall, i have tried with almost everything until i considered that it could be a BIOS related issue

Its not a overheating or throttling issue as temperatures dont go over 70° and they are very stable, also, i have a coolpad to keep my laptop fresh

My Specs:

CPU : Ryzen 5 2500u
GPU : Vega 8 Integrated Graphics
Ram : 16GB DDR4 2400mhz

BIOS version and date: AMI F.38, 11/03/2019

Laptop model: HP 245 G7

Solution
The issue here is that i dont know if i should update my BIOS from the manufacter software...
it's almost always a good idea to stick with the latest BIOS, drivers, & utilities.
many issues can be resolved, hardware compatibility can be expanded, new BIOS options can be added, and performance can be greatly increased.

you will find others claiming things like, "if it ain't broke...".
but they are usually just misinformed and\or paranoid about system updates in general.
the person that installed the OS and everything including the BIOS used a AMI (American Megatrends) bios
AMI would be the manufacturer of the motherboard.
so any BIOS offered by HP would also be originally from AMI, no matter what the naming scheme may be...
The issue here is that i dont know if i should update my BIOS from the manufacter software...
it's almost always a good idea to stick with the latest BIOS, drivers, & utilities.
many issues can be resolved, hardware compatibility can be expanded, new BIOS options can be added, and performance can be greatly increased.

but they are usually just misinformed and\or paranoid about system updates in general.
the person that installed the OS and everything including the BIOS used a AMI (American Megatrends) bios
so any BIOS offered by HP would also be originally from AMI, no matter what the naming scheme may be.
i dont know if something could go wrong if i try to update my BIOS with the HP software
there's always a slight chance something can go wrong during the process.
a corrupted file due to incomplete download or transfer, system crash while the update is processing, etc.

but i can tell you out of at least a few hundred BIOS updates i've completed over ~20 years,
i can only remember one time having a catastrophic failure.
and AsRock replaced the board because it happened using their software.

Solution

MejiMOCO

Commendable
Aug 29, 2019

so any BIOS offered by HP would also be originally from AMI, no matter what the naming scheme may be.
there's always a slight chance something can go wrong during the process.
a corrupted file due to incomplete download or transfer, system crash while the update is processing, etc.

but i can tell you out of at least a few hundred BIOS updates i've completed over ~20 years,
i can only remember one time having a catastrophic failure.
and AsRock replaced the board because it happened using their software.
If there is a setting that the person who installed the bios in my laptop changed in the BIOS, updating the BIOS could cause any issues? i heard that when you update the BIOS it automatically reset the settings and could cause some issues, is that true?, should i save my actual BIOS settings?
Also, should i disable my antivirus before starting the update?

Last edited:
i heard that when you update the BIOS it automatically reset the settings and could cause some issues, is that true?
yes, the updated BIOS will be defaulted to factory optimized settings.

can it cause issues?
that depends on your system.
if you have an HP OEM laptop than nothing should be altered that would affect performance.

if there is some custom overclock in place, than that will be reset to defaults.
but, this could also solve your issue of being stuck @ 380MHz in game since CPU speeds & voltages will be reset to normal.
should i save my actual BIOS settings?
if you have the option to save BIOS settings to a USB stick or other spaces I would definitely do it.
it's always nice to have a backup just in case it's ever needed.
should i disable my antivirus before starting the update?
can't hurt. sometimes they act screwy and could potentially cause an issue, so go ahead.