[SOLVED] I have TDS for internet and I pay for 1 gig but only getting 600 ?

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Im paying for gigabit wifi from TDS and when I call them they come out and fix it then later the same day I'm only pulling 600. They are the only company that have gigabit besides centurylink but I have Never heard good things about them. Should I cancel or downgrade my plan? The ping is fine but when I'm swapping games on my series s or ps5 the extra 300 would be nice.

Solution
What do you mean "swapping games". File copied between machines in your house do not care how fast your internet is, the internet could actually be down and it would still copy.

Now if you mean download then that is something only you can decided.

I have been thinking about this for some time since the ISP changed the plans but I can keep mine if I want. I could also upgrade to gigabit for $20/month more or drop to standard and save $40/month.

So far I have done nothing but what I have seen is the download speed is only a tiny fraction of the time it takes to update or install a new game. Things like steam download the data file and then take massive amounts of time beating on my SSD and CPU. So if I save 10minutes...
What do you mean "swapping games". File copied between machines in your house do not care how fast your internet is, the internet could actually be down and it would still copy.

I have been thinking about this for some time since the ISP changed the plans but I can keep mine if I want. I could also upgrade to gigabit for $20/month more or drop to standard and save $40/month.

So far I have done nothing but what I have seen is the download speed is only a tiny fraction of the time it takes to update or install a new game. Things like steam download the data file and then take massive amounts of time beating on my SSD and CPU. So if I save 10minutes downloading some huge game does it really matter, especially since I don't load that many new games. So far I have not decided what to do, new vendor putting fiber in the streets may make it so I have more options.

The results from centurylink vary a lot in different areas of the country. Centurylink bought up a lot of companies over the years and have not replaced all the old infrastructure. Hard to say how good or bad the are where you live. Maybe call them and see what deal they will offer for dropping your service with TDS. Tell them that you will not accept the connection unless its tests to that rate on install.

Solution

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
What speeds are you getting plugged in? Also 600 is very good, especially over wifi. ISPs offer "up to" the advertised speeds. That's the ceiling, not the floor. Also the ISP's network in your community is probably a shared medium, meaning that sometimes (esp. at peak times) you could see significant dips, unless you have a 1 gig dedicated circuit (which is unlikely). Wired performance is much better than wireless, esp. for latency. Are you in the same room as the AP or is it across the house?

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
What speeds are you getting plugged in? Also 600 is very good, especially over wifi. ISPs offer "up to" the advertised speeds. That's the ceiling, not the floor. Also the ISP's network in your community is probably a shared medium, meaning that sometimes (esp. at peak times) you could see significant dips, unless you have a 1 gig dedicated circuit (which is unlikely). Wired performance is much better than wireless, esp. for latency. Are you in the same room as the AP or is it across the house?
I have tried both wired and wireless it didn’t change anything

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Sorry about the lack of information,

So far I have done nothing but what I have seen is the download speed is only a tiny fraction of the time it takes to update or install a new game. Things like steam download the data file and then take massive amounts of time beating on my SSD and CPU. So if I save 10minutes downloading some huge game does it really matter, especially since I don't load that many new games. So far I have not decided what to do, new vendor putting fiber in the streets may make it so I have more options.

The results from centurylink vary a lot in different areas of the country. Centurylink bought up a lot of companies over the years and have not replaced all the old infrastructure. Hard to say how good or bad the are where you live. Maybe call them and see what deal they will offer for dropping your service with TDS. Tell them that you will not accept the connection unless its tests to that rate on install.
I have to reinstall game on my consoles because ei don’t have enough room on them mostly my series s

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
If you're directly wired, know your modem is capable of 1 gig, and no one else is using your network (i.e. downloading large files) and you've tried various speed tests throughout the day (e.g. early morning, mid afternoon, night, weekend, weekday) and it's all around 630 then that would seem to be an ISP issue. Did you try different servers as well? Speedtest.net, fast.com, etc? Just because the game server might not be able to push 1 gig doesn't mean your network connection is limited there.

But yeah, if all that is good and you're still capped at 630, then that seems like maybe it's the best your ISP can do. If there's a 500 Gbps plan that is significantly cheaper, perhaps that would be worth downgrading to. I guess that just depends on how much you need the speed, how tight money is, etc. 630 is still REALLY good though, like top 1-5% of all ISP speeds in the US. The average US ISP speed is 42.86 Mbps (as of Feb 2021). The fastest state is NY iwth 138 Mbps. So like I said, 630 is still extremely good. Perhaps just buy a bigger hard drive/external hard drive/NAS/etc? That seems the simplest and best solution. You don't want to have to redownload the same game 100 times anyway...

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
If you're directly wired, know your modem is capable of 1 gig, and no one else is using your network (i.e. downloading large files) and you've tried various speed tests throughout the day (e.g. early morning, mid afternoon, night, weekend, weekday) and it's all around 630 then that would seem to be an ISP issue. Did you try different servers as well? Speedtest.net, fast.com, etc? Just because the game server might not be able to push 1 gig doesn't mean your network connection is limited there.

But yeah, if all that is good and you're still capped at 630, then that seems like maybe it's the best your ISP can do. If there's a 500 Gbps plan that is significantly cheaper, perhaps that would be worth downgrading to. I guess that just depends on how much you need the speed, how tight money is, etc. 630 is still REALLY good though, like top 1-5% of all ISP speeds in the US. The average US ISP speed is 42.86 Mbps (as of Feb 2021). The fastest state is NY iwth 138 Mbps. So like I said, 630 is still extremely good. Perhaps just buy a bigger hard drive/external hard drive/NAS/etc? That seems the simplest and best solution. You don't want to have to redownload the same game 100 times anyway...
I’m fine with 600 but I have $100 to spend for WiFi a month so I’ve just been trying to get 1 gig but they offer 600 for $75 a month so I downgraded to that. I have a couple of older computers that aren’t gaming grade and I have a couple hard drives that I could use for storage, any ideas? My pc storage isn’t a big problem due to amazons shipping mishap I have 2tb of nvme storage. Thanks for the help

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I don't think you can put an NVME into a console, but I don't know. I actually modded my xbox (360 or 1?) a long time ago, I basically just cracked it open and hooked a 2.5 inch HDD to an available port and it worked just fine. I think it was the type of xbox that had some storage but didn't have the "big hard drive", I can't remember the specifics, sorry.

I would just check to see if your xbox can use (LAN) network storage or if it has an extra SATA port or better yet, does it have a USB port that you can plug an external hard drive into? That would probably be the best solution. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm not into console gaming anymore and not up to date with the latest in console tech.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I don't think you can put an NVME into a console, but I don't know. I actually modded my xbox (360 or 1?) a long time ago, I basically just cracked it open and hooked a 2.5 inch HDD to an available port and it worked just fine. I think it was the type of xbox that had some storage but didn't have the "big hard drive", I can't remember the specifics, sorry.

I would just check to see if your xbox can use (LAN) network storage or if it has an extra SATA port or better yet, does it have a USB port that you can plug an external hard drive into? That would probably be the best solution. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm not into console gaming anymore and not up to date with the latest in console tech.
Your good, Il just have to buy a external because I’m pretty sure consoles have to have the storage right to them. Can I get a usb to Sata adapter and use it on my Xbox? I can get hard drives way cheaper than the official external