I have the Noctua NF-S12A ULN fan model and I want a quieter, but efficient cooler with nice airflow

raziel_5

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
I have the Noctua NF-S12A ULN fan model and I can still hear the ball bearing moving sometimes. Max Rotational Speed (+/- 10%) w/o adaptor 800 with U.L.N.A. 600. Max Airflow (m3/h) w/o adaptor 74.3 with U.L.N.A. 57.5. Max Acoustical Noise dB (A) 8.6 with U.L.N.A. 6.7. Max Static Pressure (mm H2O) w/o adaptor 0.62 with U.L.N.A. 0.44. I was wondering if there is a truly silent version for a 120 and 140 mm fan that provides excellent Airflow and so I won't hear a ball bearing moving around? I have very sensitive ears. It is the ULN Blue Labeled model with the Brown print on the box. I have one in the main rig, but I want something that isn't like the loud Corsair fans or making the clicking noise like the Noctua fan has been doing every so often.

Solution

You shouldn't be hearing the fan doing that though.

raziel_5

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013

It's not defective. For example: I can hear slight noises when it rotates maybe due to something called Commutator Switching Frequency Noise? It's more like a clicking noise not metal if that's what you thought I meant?

You shouldn't be hearing the fan doing that though.

Solution

raziel_5

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
I found out it was one or two of the Rosewill Case fans the red LED 230 mm ones. The Noctua fan hasn't acted up this year so far. I wish the Rosewill ones wouldn't move so fast. The one was revving up after start up which it hadn't done before in the 3 plus years I've had it. It goes back to normal after a while though maybe 1-4 hours.

grtone

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
It's simply to make a fan silent: give him some oil ! Take a look on the back on your fan, it must be a sticker there with the brand and voltage something like: 12v 0.12A. Take it off that sticker. There you will find a round spot of rubber, take it off and put some oil there, a thin oil like that for automatic transmissions for cars. Assembly the fan back and you'll have a silent fan !

raziel_5

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013

Well, the Rosewill has no stickers nor does the Noctua fan. I know the Rosewill one was acting up because it was vibrating in the case. It might have been because I was cleaning and got too close with a vacuum and made the speed go out of whack? I have no idea otherwise what caused it. It runs smooth otherwise while I have 20+ tabs open. I guess I'll eventually switch the Rosewill fan though since it may be a liability.