I Have This Idea For Custom Radiator Cooling (2x air flow)

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
watercoolingairflowideaet6.png

I'm considering building a custom acrylic chassis (can't seem to find a chassis I like). I plan on using a single 120 size radaitor for cooling and I want to get the most out of it. I was wondering what you guys think of my idea (see pic).

I understand that high air flow is important for cooling the radiator, but I don't want anything over 20 DB. I'm thinking the combination of 2x low noise fans, plus air from outside the chassis will make up for the lack of a super high RPM fan. I'm a little worried about what will happen when the air is forced to turn though. Thanks for any help you can provide.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Looks like a cool idea to me, but I would have the two fans exhausting and pulling air from the outside across the radiator. Just make sure the seals around are air tight to make sure all the air is going across the fins :)

Lottie

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Not enough static pressure to make decent amount of air to go through.
A shroud like that just doesn't work. It needs to hover above the radiator and can only have a maximum height of ~6cm.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Looks good but, is it going to be located in the lower front or lower rear of your case? I would place the fan infront of the radiator to pull the air across the fins to maximize air flow. If you do decide to place this in the case rather than outside, make sure you use a dedidcated sealed chamber so hot air from your case cannot mix with the cooler air being pulled in. Also, if you decide to locate this in the rear of the case make sure you have enough clear space behind to allow good airflow.

Good luck...

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Not enough static pressure to make decent amount of air to go through.
A shroud like that just doesn't work. It needs to hover above the radiator and can only have a maximum height of ~6cm.

Why would it matter where the fans are if it's a self-contained unit? Also, why would it matter if the air is pushed or pulled?

The unit will be in the bottum front of my chassis.

I'm also thinking of another design with 4x 120mm fans at the bottum front in a square design with two 120 radiators at the bottum side front. The four 120mm fans would be blowing out, the two 120 radiators at the side would be the only air intake area.

BTW, I'm not using bigger radiators because I want dedicated cooling.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
In relation to the pump, where would the reservoir be? Pumps, by their very natue, were designed to push coolant through a cooling loop.

Their pulling characteristics are not as good.

There is a setup, with respect to radiators and fans, called a "push-pull".

In this configuration, you have a radiator with shrouds on both sides. On one side, you have a fan pushing air through the fins. On the other side, you have a corresponding fan pulling the air through. This type of setup is especially effective with dual-pass radiators as the turbulence that might slow the air down in the fins is compensated by both fans acting in unison to move the air through.

It's how I have all my rads set up in both my cooling loops in my sig.

I think a "push-pull" setup would be more efficient than the idea by the OP because the fans are sealed against the rad by shrouds, thus the air is concentrated in a focused direction. In the idea by the OP, the air is not directed into the rad as it leaves the fan but is forced in that direction. Now, you have to deal with turbulence first. Second, I am assuming that there is a divider that goes down the middle between the fans, essentially dividing the rad. The air must still travel a greater distance than in a "push-pull" and even then, the rad is not sealed with respect to the incoming air. I would think that, for this kind of design to be made as efficient as it could be, you would need to seal the system - the fans up to the rad, to create a very specific wind tunnel - almost like a makeshift shroud.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can just place two 120mm fans in both sides of the 120mm radiator and will get good performance and don't have to use much space. It's up to you if you can do that then do it, you try to be unique then good for you. Just show us some pics when your done modding.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I'd like to see it.

In no way am I saying anything derogatory about the whole idea. In fact, I applaud innovation. I think it's cool that the OP is trying to figure a different way of doing things.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Just trying to find the best way to cool a radiator. I think your suggestions of a push/pull set up with short shrouds would be ideal. Now I want to combine that with my idea for a self-contained unit (inside the tower).

I'm using SketchUp (easy to use 3d editor) for messing around with ideas. See, they are throwing away a lot of acrylic at my work and I had this crazy idea of custom building a chassis with it. But I'm not going through all that hassle unless there are some major benefits from a custom built chassis. I realize that building a custom chassis with no experience is an epic undertaking. But I just have all these ideas in my head and none would work to well with a standard chassis.

Ideas -

2 raptors in a box with 2-3 40mm fans for cooling.

Ducts mounted on the side panel directing fresh air to key areas like memory and N/South bridge.

2 120 radiators cooling cubes, one on the top middle of chassis, the other at the bottom front. (1 for CPU, other for GPU)

Remove able top handle to prevent air blockage.

The basic concept is to have every fan taking cool air from outside the chassis and directing it to exactly where it will be most effective for cooling.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Here is a pic of the program I'm using.

sketchupqd0.jpg

I made a model of the radiator, 120mm fan, and hard drive using the specified dimensions. I would have more done but I just got the program yesterday and I'm still learning.

cubber

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Try one big hole on the bottom instead of two holes from the side with an angled or curved plate above it, that would eliminate any turbulence from two crossed fan streams. Or a channel across the botton from the back in a straight line for the least turbulence from bending an air stream. Either arrangement with a push/pull config would move a lot of air. There a few cases out there with both of these arrangements.

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

cubber

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What about rotating the radiator 90° and have the inlet and outlet on the sides of the case. You could have a fan at each hole, or one big fan midship inside the radiator block. No rules say you need to blow or face front.....

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I took another look at your design. You mentioned that you were going to create a self contained unit. Do what most inventors do, build the unit the way you designed, hook it up to a temporary loop and test the temps. If your design does not work, try one of the suggestions mentioned by the others.

Personally, I feel one fan infront of the radiator would provide a more efficient and quiet operation but, which ever you decide please post some pics of the finished product.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Here is a pic of what I have designed so far.

radiatorcoolingideafe7.jpg

I plan on putting slots or holes on both sides of the unit to allow air to be taken in. I'm considering custom ducting, but I need to do more research to see if it would be worth while. I'm worried that if two air inlets are on both sides the air flow might collide a bit and reduce effectiveness.

Thank you all for your help.

P.S. I have another crazy idea of leaving a larger then normal space between the motherboard and sidepanel to allow room for a few 40mm or smaller fans to push air up the side and vent it out the top. (back of the motherboard)