I have tinnitus but I have good hearing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

I have tinnitus, I don't notice it unless its very quiet, like I'm lying in bed,
you know the sound you get when you turn on a tv while the screen is warming up,
that high pitched kind of hum, thats what i hear. It doesn't bother me but I don't
like noticing it. I went to get custom molds done for earplugs and I -really- heard
it when my ears were all blocked up. I went to an audiologist to get my hearing
checked.. my right ear is 250 (5db), 500 (10db), 1K (5db), 2K (5db), 4K (10db), 6K
(10db), 8K (15db).. my left ear is 250 (5db), 500 (10db), 1K (5db), 2K (10db), 4K
(15db), 6K (5db), 8K (5db).. she said that was above average at all frequencies..?

I'm 26 now, in my youth I attended some loud concerts but no more than most people..
I used to listen to my headphones pretty loud.. now I have an electronic drumset
and I notice that after I play for a while and take the headphones off I tend to
notice the tinnitus more, sometimes it feels like my ears are a little plugged and
I pinch my nose and blow to 'pop' them.. but I don't have the volume high, I can hear
myself hitting the rubber pads through my headphones.. other than that I'm not exposed
to loud noise anywhere, I wear earplugs when I play acoustics (ER-20)..

I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, I only found out a year ago that not
everyone has occaissaonl ringing in their ears and that it has a name :) I don't know
if its gotten worse or if its just because I'm more aware of it now, but I notice it
a lot more.. basically I don't want it to get any worse.. am I doing anything wrong?
Is there anything that can be done to reverse its effects? Is there anything that
could be causing it? I was under the impression that if that you have tinnitus you
would also having hearing damage but that doesn't seem to be the case..? Then again
its not like I have hearing test results from ten years ago to compare with.. maybe
there has been some damage..

dougk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

Check out www.t-gone.com. It seemed to help me a bit - maybe just
placebo effect. Either way it's worth a shot.

dougk@musician.org wrote:
> Check out www.t-gone.com. It seemed to help me a bit - maybe just
> placebo effect. Either way it's worth a shot.

Before you spend any money on a homeopathic "remedy" please check out:
http://www.homeowatch.org/ or read the chapter on homeopathy in the
book "Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud". There's also
plenty of information about homeopathy available at
http://www.randi.org/
-Paul

Before you spend any money on a homeopathic "remedy" please ­check
out:
http://www.homeowatch.org/ or read the chapter on homeopathy in the
book "Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud". T­here's
also
plenty of information about homeopathy available at
http://www.randi.org/

>basically I don't want it to get any worse.. am I doing anything wrong?

Protect yourself from loud sounds with your custom earplugs as much as
possible.

> Is there anything that can be done to reverse its effects?

At present time I have heard of no treatment for tinnitus.

>Is there anything that could be causing it?

I believe exposure to sound is the primary cause of tinnitus, but heredity
can be a cause as well (though not as frequent).

>I was under the impression that if that you have tinnitus you would also
>having hearing damage but that doesn't seem to be the case..?

No. Your hearing can be superb even if you do have tinnitus. But it is a
sign that you want to be even more carefull with your ears than the average
joe. Protect them whenever you can!

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:08:21 GMT, samwell@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote:

>I tend to
>notice the tinnitus more, sometimes it feels like my ears are a little plugged and
>I pinch my nose and blow to 'pop' them.

This is not a good idea... try to yawn instead.

Tinnitus is irreversable damage but it doesn't affect your hearing too
much until it starts to become louder than the what you are listening
to. I have it as well and I've noticed that it is louder at certain
times of day. Start wearing earplugs when around loud sounds, and try
to keep the headphone volume down. I know one studio musician, a sax
player in his late 50s who is almost deaf from having the 'phones
cranked too loud for many years.

Al

"hev" <>

> At present time I have heard of no treatment for tinnitus.

As stated there are no cures for Tinnitus, but there are a number of
precautions you can take.
Foods and other chemicals that stimulate your system should be avoided. That
would include coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, aspirin and
simliar things.

> >Is there anything that could be causing it?
> I believe exposure to sound is the primary cause of tinnitus, but heredity
> can be a cause as well (though not as frequent).

Exposure to loud noises cuases it within the framework of people who are
suseptable to it. However many people develope Tinnitus as they age, which
at times can be related to the industrial society in which we live. Downtown
cities are very loud places to be, open car windows, that sort of thing.
There is also the proclivity of current technology that had/has people
listening to high levels of Db on Walkman's, Discmans, iPods and the like.
Most people have nothing to compare the volume and as such often listen
through headphones at 2 and 3 times the volume they would if it was in open
air. And there are exceptions to the rule(like Eddie Van Halen) who are
exposed to incredible volumes and never show a sign of any damage for years.
But keep in mind more people's ears are damaged by exposure to loud noise
than are not. And it is currently a one way street. You always lose.

> >I was under the impression that if that you have tinnitus you would also
> >having hearing damage but that doesn't seem to be the case..?
>
> No. Your hearing can be superb even if you do have tinnitus. But it is a
> sign that you want to be even more carefull with your ears than the
average
> joe. Protect them whenever you can!

I couldn't agree more. I would definitely get the custom plugs going, and I
would start wearing them in all high volume situations. That includes places
you wouldn't normally think of it, like Movie Theaters, Resturants,
Coffeehouses and those sort of establishments. Of course the usual Bars, Nig
htclubs, Concerts, Rehearsal halls, etc...are mandatory as well. The funny
thing is once you start wearing them you will be a little more than schocked
at how loud life really is.
BTW Tinnitus is hearing damage. The Freqency often mask the real world from
you.

"Nathan West" <natewest@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

> I couldn't agree more. I would definitely get the custom plugs going, and
> would start wearing them in all high volume situations. That includes
> places
> you wouldn't normally think of it, like Movie Theaters, Resturants,
> Coffeehouses and those sort of establishments. Of course the usual Bars,
> Nig
> htclubs, Concerts, Rehearsal halls, etc...are mandatory as well.

Don't forget planes as well! Sitting on a plane for 8 hours plus for an
international flight is one noisy affair.

>The funny thing is once you start wearing them you will be a little more
>than schocked
> at how loud life really is.
> BTW Tinnitus is hearing damage. The Freqency often mask the real world
> from
> you.

I like to think of it as dither (*grin*). Has anyone been able to use it to
their advantage? Like tuning off of the tone? Having perfect pitch?

The sad thing is I received mine while interning at a studio. It was a
combination of an accident at the studio then loud volume at a band
rehearsal. I'm hoping that stem cell research might hold a cure in the near
future.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14089013

Sam

>As stated there are no cures for Tinnitus, but there are a number of
>precautions you can take.
>Foods and other chemicals that stimulate your system should be avoided. That
>would include coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, aspirin and
>simliar things.

i don't drink, and i don't drink coffee, or tea or coke/pepsi either..

>I couldn't agree more. I would definitely get the custom plugs going, and I
>would start wearing them in all high volume situations. That includes places
>you wouldn't normally think of it, like Movie Theaters, Resturants,
>Coffeehouses and those sort of establishments. Of course the usual Bars, Nig
>htclubs, Concerts, Rehearsal halls, etc...are mandatory as well. The funny
>thing is once you start wearing them you will be a little more than schocked
>at how loud life really is.
>BTW Tinnitus is hearing damage. The Freqency often mask the real world from
>you.

well im fairly careful, i have the regular plugs now, ill be getting the
custom plugs soon and plan on wearing them whenever i play or go see a show,
action movie, etc.. i also got a second set of molds made for a set of shure
e3's so that i can always listen to my mp3 player at a safe level..

"Sam" <> wrote in message
> e3's so that i can always listen to my mp3 player at a safe level..

Sounds (no pun intended) like you are a good route. However...as much as
you may like the mp3 player...I'd avoid them like the plague. They are
somewhat corrupting to the ears, and you can play them *accidentally* at
volume levels you don't think you are at.

bj

When we're on the subject...
My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
tinnitus?

"BJ" <nospam@thankyouverymuch.com> wrote in message
> When we're on the subject...
> My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
> Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
> tinnitus?

Yes it happens in the deep south all the time. It is called Bubbatinitus. A
lot of shrimp boat captains got it at one time.

<Ducking and Running>

Nathan

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:44:02 +0100, "BJ" <nospam@thankyouverymuch.com>
wrote:

>When we're on the subject...
>My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
>Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
>tinnitus?

You probably have TMJ issues. In your case the ringing could probably
disappear with the right treatment. Try to find a practitioner who
know Sacral-Cranial work, or someone who Teaches the Feldenkrais
Method.

Al

> "BJ" <nospam@thankyouverymuch.com> wrote in message
>> When we're on the subject...
>> My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
>> Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
>> tinnitus?
>

> Yes it happens in the deep south all the time. It is called Bubbatinitus.
> lot of shrimp boat captains got it at one time.
>

> <Ducking and Running>
>
> Nathan

Lol. Glad I didn't have water in my mouth.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me here:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14089013

Sam

>>I tend to
>>notice the tinnitus more, sometimes it feels like my ears are a little
plugged and
>>I pinch my nose and blow to 'pop' them.
>
>This is not a good idea... try to yawn instead.

why, whats wrong with blowing a plugged nose?
I have no ability to force a yawn..

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 04:05:45 GMT, samwell@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote:

>>>I tend to
>>>notice the tinnitus more, sometimes it feels like my ears are a little
>plugged and
>>>I pinch my nose and blow to 'pop' them.
>>
>>This is not a good idea... try to yawn instead.
>
>why, whats wrong with blowing a plugged nose?
>I have no ability to force a yawn..

It's a little risky to the eardrums from what I understand.

Al

Sam wrote:
>>>I tend to
>>>notice the tinnitus more, sometimes it feels like my ears are a little
>
> plugged and
>
>>>I pinch my nose and blow to 'pop' them.
>>
>>This is not a good idea... try to yawn instead.
>

> why, whats wrong with blowing a plugged nose?
> I have no ability to force a yawn..

No need. Just open your eustacion tubes. They make a little
crackling sound when you've done it. It's a little like
wiggling your ears. :)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

"play_on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>plugged and
>>>
>>>This is not a good idea... try to yawn instead.
>>
>>why, whats wrong with blowing a plugged nose?
>>I have no ability to force a yawn..
>
> It's a little risky to the eardrums from what I understand.

I've heard the same. Don't do it!

On 2005-01-29, BJ <nospam@thankyouverymuch.com> wrote:

> When we're on the subject...
> My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
> Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
> tinnitus?

I'm sure if someone does, they have "Audiologist, MD" after their name
on their office door, and you should ask them.

Sam <samwell@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I went to an audiologist to get my hearing checked.. my right ear is
> 250 (5db), 500 (10db), 1K (5db), 2K (5db), 4K (10db), 6K (10db), 8K
> (15db).. my left ear is 250 (5db), 500 (10db), 1K (5db), 2K (10db), 4K
> (15db), 6K (5db), 8K (5db).. she said that was above average at all
> frequencies..?

you have above average hearing for all frequencies being tested; an
audiogram like that would indicate you don't have any trouble
understanding speech, which is what they

if you're really curious, see if you can find an audiologist who has
equipment which can test your hearing to 20kHz, ideally with an insert
earphone. these don't seem to be too common, but if you really want to
know what's going on, there are ways...

The United States is the one true country. The US is just. The US
is fair. The US respects its citizens. The US loves you. We have
always been at war against terrorism.

bj

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:44:02 +0100, "BJ" <nospam@thankyouverymuch.com>
> wrote:
>
> >When we're on the subject...
> >My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
> >Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
> >tinnitus?
>
> You probably have TMJ issues. In your case the ringing could probably
> disappear with the right treatment. Try to find a practitioner who
> know Sacral-Cranial work, or someone who Teaches the Feldenkrais
> Method.
>
> Al

Thanks, Al. Much appreciated. TMJ-Tinnitus definately seems to fit my
symptom(s). Will have a good look at this.

On a separate but somewhat related note:

Noise cancelling headphones: I was thinking of buying a pair for airplane
travel (I travel a lot) to reduce noise intake. But if they just flip the
outside signal 180 degrees doesn't that mean you are still bombarded by
noise (just flipped)? It wouldn't help preserve your ears... just make it
more quiet, right?

--

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:48:39 GMT, "Nathan West" <natewest@nc.rr.com>
wrote:

>As stated there are no cures for Tinnitus, but there are a number of
>precautions you can take.
>Foods and other chemicals that stimulate your system should be avoided. That
>would include coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, aspirin and
>simliar things. <snip>

....as well as the usual studio candy these days...cocaine, OxyContin,
methamphetimines, grass, hash, heroin...just the usual stuff.
dB

On 28 Jan 2005 11:33:25 -0800, dougk@musician.org wrote:

>Check out www.t-gone.com. It seemed to help me a bit - maybe just
>placebo effect. Either way it's worth a shot. <snip>

The latter is correct. T-gone is a fraud.

dB

In article <41faf8e2@news.broadpark.no>,
"BJ" <nospam@thankyouverymuch.com> wrote:

> When we're on the subject...
> My tinnitus gets a LOT louder when I push my jaw forward.
> Anybody know why this happens, or if this indicates a special type of
> tinnitus?

Since no one has mentioned this before in this thread i'd just like to
add that noise adds up with time, i.e a pretty low noise level can do
harm after a heavy (noisy) day and on the same note a pretty loud hour
or so can be ok once in a while.

If i work in the orchestra during the day and sit going through takes in
the evening my ears take it bad.

Search for sound level dosis on the net to better understand the
importance of not working with sounds too many hours a day.

And, good luck!
J.
--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu