[SOLVED] I have to disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable every time I start my computer ?

Dimitri001

Honorable
Oct 11, 2019
Whenever I turn my computer on I have no internet connection at first, I have to yank the ethernet cable out and plug it back in to get an internet connection. None of the other devices connected to the same router have this problem. Any idea why this is?

Might it have something to do with the fact that I set the IP for my computer manually?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

If you manually set up a static IP address for your computer you must ensure that no other devices use or could be using the same IP address.

For example, while your computer is off another computer may request a network IP address. The router could assign a DHCP IP address that is the same IP address being used by your computer.

When your computer is turned on then there is a duplicate IP situation on the network.

However, I am wondering about what/which ethernet cable you "yank" out. The cable serving your computer or some other cable?

What may need to be done is to reserve the desired static IP address for your computer on the router.

To help with doing that more information is needed.

Make and model information for modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

Also run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

How many network devices? What IP address did you manually set up for your computer?

Reactions: Dimitri001

Dimitri001

Honorable
Oct 11, 2019
Yes.

If you manually set up a static IP address for your computer you must ensure that no other devices use or could be using the same IP address.

For example, while your computer is off another computer may request a network IP address. The router could assign a DHCP IP address that is the same IP address being used by your computer.

When your computer is turned on then there is a duplicate IP situation on the network.

However, I am wondering about what/which ethernet cable you "yank" out. The cable serving your computer or some other cable?

What may need to be done is to reserve the desired static IP address for your computer on the router.

To help with doing that more information is needed.

Make and model information for modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

Also run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

How many network devices? What IP address did you manually set up for your computer?
That was it, I adjusted the IP range it assigns automatically and the problem has been solved. Thanks!