[SOLVED] I have to downclock the core of my RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra for it to run games properly

darquedean

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012
So when I bought this card it didn't have any issues and I could overclock it a bit as well and get fine performance in all games. I've owned it for probably close to 2 years now and months ago games began to crash pretty much every single time I play anything somewhat graphically demanding for more than 10 minutes. If I downclock the core by 75 MHz everything is back to normal.

I DID swap the stock cooler for a water block but temps seem to be fine, unless there's a specific component overheating, If that's a possibility please let me know, as of now that's my top suspect as it was the first water block I've ever installed. I don't think the problems were occurring right after installing the water block either, I believe I was able to play games fine but I can't remember for sure. The water block I'm using is a Bitspower. I've also been through a clean install of windows since the problem started occurring and it persisted. Temps Almost never exceed 60C, in fact I'm not entirely sure if I've ever seen them at 60C. The games that crash are games like Battlefield 4/1/V/2042, FFXIV, Halo MCC/Infinite, Cyberpunk, CoD, Apex, Satisfactory and probably many more.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks there's another solution before I drain my system and attempt to repair the thermal pads on the water block. I would really like to be able to sell these parts and be able to fund my next upgrade that way but there's no way I'm selling a bunk GPU to someone, at least not without them knowing. If it does come down to having to repair thermal pads, if anyone has tips on how to do so or a good guide video I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Crashes that only start 10 minutes in make it sound like something is getting too hot for its comfort.

If down-clocking the GPU by 75MHz makes the crashes go away, then it sounds like the GPU's VRM and PSU aren't getting along once they've had time to warm up.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy gaming use - correct? And overclocking - correct?

Disk drive(s):make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time of a crash.

All in all an increasing number of of errors and varying errors are a symptom of a faltering/failing PSU.

= = = =

Start by powering down, unplugging, and opening the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, kinked, pinched wires, browning or blackening anywhere. Swollen components.

See if the situation improves - i.e., fewer crashes.

If not, what errors etc. are being captured by the system?

InvalidError

Titan
Crashes that only start 10 minutes in make it sound like something is getting too hot for its comfort.

If down-clocking the GPU by 75MHz makes the crashes go away, then it sounds like the GPU's VRM and PSU aren't getting along once they've had time to warm up.

Solution