Question I have to pick one to pursue, RayTracing or AMD Freesync for next GPU. Which would give me the better experience at 2k?

yocheco619

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Considering a 4000 series Nvidia card or the 7900XTX to pair with my freesync 2k monitor. Is Raytracing a better overall experience than Freesync would be?

I plan to play both FPS and RTS games, no real single player adventure games.

NVIDIA cards support both. Even if your monitor isn't on the G-Sync Compatible list, there's nothing actually stopping you from enabling G-Sync on the monitor. There's also a question of how good the FreeSync implementation of the monitor is. If it's a budget gaming monitor, then I'm under the impression the FreeSync implementation won't be that great.

Like for example, if it's a 144Hz monitor, FreeSync on it may stop at 60Hz. At least on some higher end FreeSync monitors, it'll employ frame doubling below 60Hz to make the system think it's above 60FPS and thus, the FreeSync mechanism kicks in

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Freesync/g-sync got nuffin to do with Ray Tracing.

RT is a lighting affect used by nvidia gpus. You can use it on either FS or GS or GS compatible monitors or use an AMD gpu on either of those with AMD version of Ray Tracing.

Freesync/G-Sync are just aspects of V-Sync, has to to with tearing or stuttering of the frames, not what's 'in' the picture.

So 'pursuit' doesn't really apply. You either have a want for RT that's better than AMD RT, or not. The monitor is moot.

Considering a 4000 series Nvidia card or the 7900XTX to pair with my freesync 2k monitor. Is Raytracing a better overall experience than Freesync would be?

I plan to play both FPS and RTS games, no real single player adventure games.
DLSS 3

mjbn1977

Distinguished
DLSS 3

DLSS 3 and 2 are two different things.

DLSS 3 is only available on 4000 series RTX cards. DLSS is frame generation, which will basically double the frame rate but you will loose latency. Also, you should have a good framerate (preferable at least 60 to begin with). So far I only tested it in Witcher3 Next gen and it works fine there. Gives me like over 150 fps with Ultra and Raytracing in the next gen version. DLSS 3 is not available on 2000 and 3000 series RTX cards.

DLSS 2 is available on all RTX cards. This one is Nvidia's AI upscaling technology. That one rocks in is really sweet.

Ok it is not officially G-Sync compatible but that might just mean they haven’t paid to have it tested and certified. NVidia has allowed G-Sync via Freesync for some time now, when they first started supporting it monitors that were not certified sometimes had issues.

I cannot find any proper deep dive reviews of this monitor, the reviews I found are just repeating the spec sheet. Without a proper review where it’s been tested with G-Sync I’d say there is a risk you could run into issues trying to use G-Sync. It may work perfectly fine though.

For me I would take variable refresh rate (Freesync) over Ray Tracing every time. I’m using a 3080 and still leave RT off, the visual benefit are limited and it take a significant performance hit.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
DLSS, DLSS 2 and DLSS 3 are the same thing, they are all the same basic Deep Learning Super Sampling. It doesn't generate frames, as such, it looks at a series of frames in the buffer, and interjects certain frames into the sequence, with or without lighting affects as needed. The only real difference between the 3 is the Algorithm used, it's capacity and decision making process.

Gen3 is advanced enough that it's like your brain at 20yrs old vs Gen1 or Gen2 which is your brain at 5yrs old and 10yrs old, which is why they aren't backwards compatible. At 5 you understand blue+red=purple, at 20 you understand blue+red = any shade of purple from violet to maroon to lilac to mauve depending on the levels and types of blue and red mixed.

Your FPS goes up because instead of the 2 actual frames being reproduced, the gpu is putting out 4 frames, but realistically it's only the same 2 frames, just output twice. This can introduce blurriness if there isn't time for the full frame to be interjected at the full detail levels and only the wire frame is doubled.

The difference between DLSS and DLSS 3 is that 3 is far better at choosing the frames to be reproduced and far better at choosing what parts of the frame can be reproduced without adding to the blurriness etc.

Last edited:

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
I mean it's very subjective whether Raytracing or Freesync would be the better experience. But if it were me I'd skip this generation entirely

The 4090 wins by raw power, there's no contest but who'd want a bulky overpriced power-hungry firehazard.

7900 XTX comes closer to the 4080 than the 4090 but doesn't have the bells and whistles the RTX series has.

But hey if you don't care about all that, go for the 4090, just make sure your cables aren't crap

Or go with the 4080 instead

Reactions: gamr
4070ti isn’t a bad card but only thing there is it’s only 12gb of vram so keep that in mind. Should be enough today but who knows about 3 years for example. Depending how long you will keep the card it may be a consideration.

As far as DLSS, if I’m not mistaken nvidia cards can also run amd fsr, which arguably isn’t as good as dlss but amd has been making strides and usually their tech seems to be more open than nvidia.

TRENDING THREADS