[SOLVED] I have to reseat my CPU to get it working!

Aug 31, 2020
So, first of all the led indicator on the mobo is saying that there is something off with the cpu.
The first thing I did was cut the cord and while pressing the start button drain the residual power. Fixed it once, twice. And then the pc didn't turn on with me trying to do that. So I reseated the cpu, it worked! But now again I had to hold the power button to get it up and running.
What could this be?
The mobo (vrm) and the psu have a slight coil whine, if that's relevant.
Ryzen 5 2600x, msi b450 mortar pro.
I really appreciate any input and help, you guys rock!

Solution
Yes, it's relevant. The VRM's should be silent, no coil whine, since there's no coils. VRM = voltage regulatory mosfet, it's a transistor (or a couple of them) and the power to them isn't direct to the psu, it comes from the EPS (cpu auxiliary) through some other circuitry on the motherboard first.

Coil whine from a psu? Not that unusual, they've got a ton of coils and caps inside, any one of which could react to any specific frequency and give off a whine.

But motherboards shouldn't make any noise, that'd be my first concern.
Aug 31, 2020
Alright, have you tried clearing the CMOS? Also are all pins there and are they all straight?
Pins are all aight, checked them when I reinstalled the cpu. Haven't tried clearing the cmos tho. The pc is running and I can reset the bios in the bios. I think it did that automatically when I reseated the cpu tho.

Aug 31, 2020
I actually saw JayZTwoCents (Yes, the YouTuber), have a similar problem when he was using a bad/failing Cooler Master PSU. Might be a similar case here; though reviews for your unit were solid.
Would you mind sending me the video? I'm also thinking that the PSU might be the problem, but I don't know if I can return it cuz it's working fine on the surface.

Aug 31, 2020
that may just mean it only works when the PC doesn't require much power from it. a 600W PSU shouldn't be doing that. but then again it could be a bad brand even though reviews for it may sound good
It's was working fine when I was stress testing it. I built the pc myb two months ago, and this just started to happen like a few days ago.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
So, first of all the led indicator on the mobo is saying that there is something off with the cpu.
The first thing I did was cut the cord and while pressing the start button drain the residual power. Fixed it once, twice. And then the pc didn't turn on with me trying to do that. So I reseated the cpu, it worked! But now again I had to hold the power button to get it up and running.
What could this be?
Ryzen 5 2600x, msi b450 mortar pro.
I really appreciate any input and help, you guys rock!
From what I understand upon POST right when you turn on computer you get a red light correct? If so then it matters if the red light is for RAM or CPU. It will say on motherboard also you can read the manual for that. It is obviously not the RAM red light. It is CPU red light which means the CPU is not doing well and also the motherboard is most probably jacked up while the CPU is ok and functional right now. So in short that red light is a red flag, no phun. You should consider RMAing the motherboard. I have plenty experience in this area so I post to you with confidence my friend, and sorry you have to go through this but all will be ok soon.✝👶🙈🎗👽🤷‍♀️💯

Aug 31, 2020
From what I understand upon POST right when you turn on computer you get a red light correct? If so then it matters if the red light is for RAM or CPU. It will say on motherboard also you can read the manual for that. It is obviously not the RAM red light. It is CPU red light which means the CPU is not doing well and also the motherboard is most probably jacked up while the CPU is ok and functional right now. So in short that red light is a red flag, no phun. You should consider RMAing the motherboard. I have plenty experience in this area so I post to you with confidence my friend, and sorry you have to go through this but all will be ok soon.✝👶🙈🎗👽🤷‍♀️💯
Is there any way I could check if it is the mobo?

Many PSUs worked for weeks or months...right before beginning failing.

Disconnect everything not needed for the POST, drop to one RAM stick if needed. If swapping the mainboard is much less expensive for you, that might be the order in which for you to proceed, but, most opt to rule the PSU first...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's relevant. The VRM's should be silent, no coil whine, since there's no coils. VRM = voltage regulatory mosfet, it's a transistor (or a couple of them) and the power to them isn't direct to the psu, it comes from the EPS (cpu auxiliary) through some other circuitry on the motherboard first.

Coil whine from a psu? Not that unusual, they've got a ton of coils and caps inside, any one of which could react to any specific frequency and give off a whine.

But motherboards shouldn't make any noise, that'd be my first concern.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS